Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from one of you practical type guys. A while back I bought a new roller cam, and I'm ready to stab it in. I only bought the cam (from Billy Anderson). The plan is to use all the pieces I already had from the econo roller I had several years ago. The old econo cam had a roller thrust button that rides in a holder that is stuck in the nose of the old cam. I assume this is the same roller button that Comp sells for these newer cams. I want to reuse the button with the new cam, but I am having a devil of a time getting the holder out of the old cam. Can anyone give me a technique, or tell me what the proper tool is, to get this sucker out? The piece I'm talking about is in the first picture, and I want to transfer it over to the cam in the 2nd pic. Thanks for the help!

John

Attachments

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I might be pressed in or Loctited in.
Either way,a little heat around the area from a torch should burn off any Loctite that *could* be there or allow the "fit" to loosen up enough to remove the seat.
The other option would be to tap the center hole for a removal bolt.

·
Registered
732 Posts
JDEstill said:
Need some help from one of you practical type guys. A while back I bought a new roller cam, and I'm ready to stab it in. I only bought the cam (from Billy Anderson). The plan is to use all the pieces I already had from the econo roller I had several years ago. The old econo cam had a roller thrust button that rides in a holder that is stuck in the nose of the old cam. I assume this is the same roller button that Comp sells for these newer cams. I want to reuse the button with the new cam, but I am having a devil of a time getting the holder out of the old cam. Can anyone give me a technique, or tell me what the proper tool is, to get this sucker out? The piece I'm talking about is in the first picture, and I want to transfer it over to the cam in the 2nd pic. Thanks for the help!

John
The first thing I would try is a pilot bearing puller.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I tried to put some heat on it, but I'm afraid to just let the torch sit on it, looks like it is aluminium, and it seems to have had no effect so far.

I looked at some pilot bearing pullers, but they all seem to only be good for a minimum of 1/2" id. This thing has a hole that's a little smaller than that, I don't think that is going to work unless there is a puller that can handle smaller id holes?

I've got a couple of other ideas to try tonight, but if they don't work... any other ideas?

Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
try to pressurize it with some grease and see if it gets pushed out?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Heat will work, it should be mild steel (magnet) secured with red Loctite.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never had heard of the grease trick that Steve referred to, but I found it on the net while doing a search on pilot bearing removal. Worked like a frickin' champ! Took me less than a minute to get it out. For those unfamiliar with the technique, I packed the area behind the bearing holder (or whatever its called) with grease, good and full (no air pockets), took a bolt that had almost the exact same dia as the hole, positioned it over the hole, and gave it a few good whacks with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure transmitted to the grease behind the bearing holder pushed it right out. Slick! Took three whacks of the hammer to get it completely out. Man, that was easy. Wish I had known about that before.

Again, thanks for the help guys.

John

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Sometimes I think that Steve Wood guy actually invented the question mark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts