Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, OK, once you all stop laughing, I am serious. I have posted a number of threads regarding my 1984 GN, both here and on the other board. Guys are probably getting fed up with my complaining, but the situation is slowly coming to a close as my car is now fixed (injector plug broken by GM tech and not secured to number 1 injector) and car is running great at WOT (no thanks to the dealership). I am trying to get them to accept responsibility for the botched repair job, and to recover some of my roughly $2,500. It's a long story but I will truly appreciate it, if you could read through to the end and make any suggestions you wish; either as a reply or PM. I will respect your anonymity.
Story is:

Car in to respected GM dealer with a great shop foreman to fix a rough idle - May 29, 2013
Diagnosed as needing new injectors, fuel pressure regulator and IAC valve motor - dealership changed injectors and fuel pressure regulator - trouble sourcing IAC motor.
Car returned Friday June 14, 2013 - idle a tad better - new problem engine miss - dealership did not tell me.
I sourced IAC motor and returned car to dealership July 8, 2013.
Dealership changed IAC and diagnosed engine miss as bad plug number 1 cyl - changed all plugs.
Car returned July 10, 2013. Idle much better engine miss still there.
July 15-16 many tests run at home with buddy who is 32 year seasoned GM tech - problem found - broken injector plug on number 1 - plug not staying seated - tie wrapped - problem solved.

Meantime all old plugs were tested for spark - plenty there, all injectors resistance tested - all the same resistance (15.8 ohms). Even shorted out plug wires at the coils and only cyl that didn't stumble further was number 1.

I approached the dealership on Mon. July 22, 2013 and asked for a break on labour costs.

Help wanted -
1 - Book times for changing injectors and changing spark plugs on a 1984 GN or point me in direction to find the flat rate times. ( dealership charged $190 labour to change plugs and $900 to change injectors)
2 - Best GM corporate contact.
3 - Anyone had success with social media to solicit a positive response from a dealship.

Please help me out!

Frustrated Phil

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next step

Well I got some good tips on how to proceed from the "other" site and my breakfast car buddies.

I have nailed down book times (2 hrs for spark plugs and 3.5 hrs for injectors) and written to Vic Bennett on Friday. Since neither job was necessary (all injectors 15.8 ohms and ST 125 test results more than ample spark) i am hoping he will make a better gesture than the $109 store credit offered so far.

Next step is Kevin Williams (GM president), BBB, thepubliccitizen and social media.

My main objective is to publicize this so maybe others don't get taken by them.

I also heard that both Rick Leary and his son were fired - lots of rumours as to why and lots of discussion at the Lanark show last weekend. Sure wish i had never taken my car there.:cheers:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Back in about 77-78 I had my Coronet RT at a dealership to fix reverse backup lights. They didn't come on & they couldn't find why (wiring was not stock) but returned my car & wanted about $175 for their time. I wrote them a cheque like usual back then & proceeded to tell my bank to stop payment. Then I called the BBB & told them what I had done & why it was done. I never heard a peep from them trying to collect the $$ owed. Not much help but it made me think about that story.
I would still call the BBB and see what they say??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Resolved

The dealership and I came to an acceptable arrangement. Nice to see that there is still some credence given to the concept of customer service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts