Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
The time has come for me to buy some slicks. I am running 12.1 @114.4 on Nitto DR's. Traction is becoming a big problem with my Nittos. I know with my MPH I can run 11.7-11.9 with traction and probably more if I turned up the boost alittle more. I'm currently running 23psi and plan to run 25psi. So, should I look into getting 26" or 28" slicks? I see that Hoosier makes a 27" in their Quick Times.

Thanks,

Chuck M.

------------------

The CAR Website

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are you locking up the convertor? What rpm's are you going through the traps at? Like I said earlier, I would probably use a MT 28X9. It is actually 27.3" tall and narrow enough to fit under your stock rear.

------------------

[This message has been edited by HighPSI (edited April 20, 2001).]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cal,

My DS run shows me hitting 5500rpms at the traps. I'm locking the converter at 75mph. Those stickers must be helping me go faster!!! I can send you my run if you want to check it out.

The 28x11.5" ET street looks like a good choice being 27.5" tall. It shows the tread width 8.6". Is a wider tire better? I also see that Hoosier sells 27x10" Quick Times that are 27"tall and 9" wide. Which would work better? Only a $2 difference between the two.

------------------

The CAR Website

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dont forget, the taller the tire, the lower the rear-end gear ratio! 26" or 27" tire should be good.

------------------
Best ET= [email protected] 1.78 60' XP Pump, Hot Wire kit, 3" downpipe, Shift Kit, Nitto's, Pete Tomka's Cold air kit, Pinion Snubber, S-10 wheel cylinder's, soft shoes.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by Chuck:
Guys,
The time has come for me to buy some slicks. I am running 12.1 @114.4 on Nitto DR's. Traction is becoming a big problem with my Nittos. I know with my MPH I can run 11.7-11.9 with traction and probably more if I turned up the boost alittle more. I'm currently running 23psi and plan to run 25psi. So, should I look into getting 26" or 28" slicks? I see that Hoosier makes a 27" in their Quick Times.

Thanks,

Chuck M.

Have you boxed your control arms or done anything to the rear suspension for more traction?? I know guys in the mid to high 11's on BFG Drag radials...slicks are a hassle.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Should have spent your money on a T-brake, and a race rebuild of your trans. You are on borrowed time with a stock trans.. Add slicks and something will give.. not the tires.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited April 23, 2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts