Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much hp/Tq can a bone stock GN motor handle and how much more can a girdled block with TRW pistons handle? (9:5CR)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not sure about a girdled block or torques butin reading through posts, I came across that a stock block can handle 550hp.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Originally posted by TransAm:
How much hp/Tq can a bone stock GN motor handle and how much more can a girdled block with TRW pistons handle? (9:5CR)

500 HP is what I read from a stock block with no girdle.
Also. I'd consider running 1 point lower on compression.
Stock engines in these cars run around 8.5

HTH

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you need to do to make the motor handle 700hp/tq to the ground? Im not just curious I WANT to do this.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Stage II motor, detuned.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
About $15K-$20K and you can't make a stocker a Stage II.

Busch/Indy/Dirt Track motors.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Or find one in Canada. You Americans are crazy when it comes to price. My buddy picked his up for $12000.00cdn. In a 3800lb car running 14.5psi with a T-76, he has run a [email protected] Same guy he bought the Stage 11 from was selling a completely rebuilt Stage 1 for $8000.00cdn. I'm kicking myself, I should have bought it.
Same engine builder had one of his single turbo Stage motors run a [email protected] And my buddy, the same aboved mentioned, just bought that car.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
530-540 hp is pushing it without a girdle...with a girdle...maybe 580-600, once or twice.

Either one of the new TA Performance blocks when they start delivering them or a Stage block which can get real expensive very quickly.

Personally, I think anything over 500 is pushing it even if detonation is avoided in a stock block.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stock block and girdling is only part of the formula ...add for starters... billet steel 2 and 3 main caps, 190psi+ ARP rod bolts, and oh yeah Cunningham or Oliver rods, more oil volume and pressure, lots of grinding and deburring the block and on .... to get you to a durable 500hp+/- stock block based piece.

ds

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really thought these motors were really strong. Lt1 blocks can make over 750 all day long with internals and the ricer Drag cars here in South Fl are holding up 480-620 with just a sleeve job.

·
Omnipotent Poster
728 Posts
forzfed sez:Same guy he bought the Stage 11 from was selling a completely rebuilt Stage 1 for $8000.00cdn.
Wow! A stage 11!

I think I'll wait for the stage 12s to come out though.
There was a stage 6&7/8 on ebay a while ago, but the reserve was in $cdn so noone knew what it cost.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
TransAm,

Our engines don't make too much hp, but they make ungodly amounts of torque. Most guys don't rev them over 5100 RPM and I recall seeing a guy in New England post his dyno results, I believe he made 450 - 460 hp, but made just over 600 ft-#'s of torque!!

Torque like that will accelerate you very quickly.

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Originally posted by FastwClass:
Wow! A stage 11!

I think I'll wait for the stage 12s to come out though.
There was a stage 6&7/8 on ebay a while ago, but the reserve was in $cdn so noone knew what it cost.
Hey! A Stage 11 will kick a Stage II any day of the week!
As for the Canadian money, just take the funds in U.S. divide by 2 then divide by 2 again and you have how much it costs.
Or do you have to divide again by 2, yeah something like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts