Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take the Merc in for emissions testing. Here in MD, all they do is plug in the OBDII, the computers talk and you're done.

However, I did have a CEL on. I have fixed the problem and cleared the codes. How long do I need to drive the car before I can take it into emissions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Usually takes a good 50 miles to be sure the sensor resets itself.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
my CEL light came on...all I did was clear the codes in the waiting line in NJ and passed,,,drove a few miles and came back on but who cares I got my sticker

·
Registered
219 Posts
All obd11 cars have different drive cycles.. You can look it up online and that will get you close, but ive seen cars take over 100 miles... No way of knowing for sure without a scan tool like paul said....

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The computer has to go through a certain amount of "start cycles" after the code(s) are cleared. If the problem is still there, the light comes back on. If you go to emissions and their computer fails the car, you are refunded your $14 and told to drive the car normally for 2 weeks then come back.

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I think I'll just wait for it to go thru a tank of gas. That should be long enough for everybody to be ready. I'll check on my scan tool on Friday to see if it's ready.

Thanks for all the responses y'all. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
One of my autocross buddies is what I call a "student of the game" as far as the emissions/inspection/OBDII, etc. etc (he runs a clean-as-a-whistle 1 man repair shop).
I went thru all of this for a few years with my 98 Mountaineer.
At least in NJ, you are allowed some "not ready" (don't remember which ones or how many); that may depend on age of vehicle and mileage(?).
Of course in MD it may be different yet... are those requirements pubished anywhere??
Good luck!

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of my autocross buddies is what I call a "student of the game" as far as the emissions/inspection/OBDII, etc. etc (he runs a clean-as-a-whistle 1 man repair shop).
I went thru all of this for a few years with my 98 Mountaineer.
At least in NJ, you are allowed some "not ready" (don't remember which ones or how many); that may depend on age of vehicle and mileage(?).
Of course in MD it may be different yet... are those requirements pubished anywhere??
Good luck!
Good suggestion... I just googled (now that I know what I'm looking for) and found some info that MD put out.

http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs...airIndustry/Documents/Dec 2002 RepairCare.pdf

It looks like I can have one 'unset readiness' codes. I'm gonna get it tested Friday. By then, it should be 'ready'.

Thanks for the help y'all.

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
***UPDATE***

My scan tool gave me the green light, so I took the car in today. PASSED! Don't wanna see that damn place for two years.

Thanks for the help y'all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts