Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking with BWeavy has me sitting on the fence about putting the cage in my car help Although I don't have a show car I have replaced just about everything over the last three years (carpet, seat upholstery, steering wheel, motor, trans, rear, etc...) and now a new front end, hood and paint:eek: ... so the car doesn't look its age. I still have the original engine and trans sitting in the shed so I can put it back to all matching #'s. I haven't done anything to it that I can't put it back to normal and I guess that is what Brian likes. Only problem with that is I do like to go to the track and....they do like kicking me out after the first or second pass loser I really need one but is it all negative towards the car or does it actually make it worth more? Maybe depends on the buyer? I was all ready to go now I am back on the fence... Thanks Brian! :D

·
??? 30 psi isn't normal
497 Posts
A roll cage will most definitely impact the value of a car and I would image in a somewhat negative way. Most would want a non modded car or a slightly modded car. But I think there is a more important question you have to ask yourself. Are you planning in the future to sell your car or are you going to keep it ...or to put it a different way. Is the car an investment? If you are concerned about the sale price you might get down the road then don't put a cage in it.

Me personally, I would install the cage because to simply put it my car is never going to be for sale :D and I have that need for speed powersix headbang

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
It really depends whether you ever plan to sell your car, what shape it is in, if it's all original, etc. A couple points to consider...

It's alot easier to sell a car that does not have a cage as most people are not looking to buy race cars or cars that have obviously been raced. This is not to say there are no buyers for caged cars there are just fewer of them.

If you're concerned about value then look back to the muscle cars of the 60's. The ones that have been left alone are many times more valuable than caged/modified ones in similar condition. I think in another 10 years TR's will follow the same trends.

In the end it's your car so do what you want with it. Personally I would never cage an original TR that was in decent shape. There are enough beater TR's and hotairs (that still need LC2s :D ) out there that are cheap candidates for race cars.

I was in the same dilemma you are so I bought a thrashed '85 T-type for $650 that I'm converting to LC2 that I can beat on guilt free. In fact I kinda feel good about saving a TR from the scrap pile even if it was originally a hotair...

<small>[ November 19, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: rastaz ]</small>

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's true! At some point I will sell it. I have owned one now for 13 years but I may get tired at some point. I have had this one for 3 years and haven't cage it yet. I drove it home after buying it and was at the track that weekend where it ripped off a pretty easy [email protected] MPH pass and got me kicked out. Shows you how much fence sitting I have done yup

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian said the same thing about a hot-air car. He has a pretty nice WE-4 with 80k that has been pretty much gutted, carbon fiber, caged, fuel cell, etc... that would be perfect! Total race car! Owning and keeping up two is an expensive proposition!

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
CallMeMud:
Owning and keeping up two is an expensive proposition!
Nah... they are only expensive if you race and modify them. When left alone they are really quite reliable/affordable cars.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
You can always remove the cage,fix the floors and put the interior back.....
But you can't put your head back on! help

·
Registered
654 Posts
Do you really need a full cage? or just a roll bar? A bar is much easier to install and remove and makes less mess to the interior.
Check nhra rule book.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rastaz:
CallMeMud:
Owning and keeping up two is an expensive proposition!
Nah... they are only expensive if you race and modify them. When left alone they are really quite reliable/affordable cars.
I hear ya! Sad problem is though I bet 90% of us race them. I couldn't own one and not!

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Bah. Enjoy the car... cage it and race it. yup

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
If you tried and sell it in your local newspaper or to someone who preferred a big speakers to going fast then the value will go down with a cage. But selling it on the Buick boards or special interest magazines and saying the car runs 10' or 11's and has an approved cage. Then It may even add value. I made sure mine was done not to be invasive to the interior and have removable swingouts. I can still use my back seat and rear speakers too. :)

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ULYCYC:
If you tried and sell it in your local newspaper or to someone who preferred a big speakers to going fast then the value will go down with a cage. But selling it on the Buick boards or special interest magazines and saying the car runs 10' or 11's and has an approved cage. Then It may even add value. I made sure mine was done not to be invasive to the interior and have removable swingouts. I can still use my back seat and rear speakers too. :)
Do you have or can you get pictures of your setup? TIA

·
Lotsa G-Body Parts
1,411 Posts
Your welcome Jesse LMAO!
Bottom line is that it's your car.I just hate seeing cars with original drivetranes available for a matching # car to get hacked up.Some people don't care others do.The fact that you have the original drive trane will raise the value of the car.I'm guessing that is 1 of the reasons you purchased it in the first place.
You can install a cage & remove later & weld the floor boards & repair.I personally thought it would be cheaper in the long run to get a hot air body & cage that.Put your original Drive trane in your car now (investment).Get a roller do it up over the winter & have your race car.Having your cake & eating it TOO!
2 cars being maintained isn't cheap.BTW the
WE-4 is 72k miles.Also Track cars are not easy to sell.Believe me been sitting on this 1 way too long.Should of been gone in the first 2 weeks.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I think any way you look at it is adding a cage will decrease the value of the car, because you have decreased your potential buyers looking to buy that car.

Bottom line is: It's your car. There are pros and cons to caging the Buick and ultimately the decision is yours.

I was kinda in the same predicament when my GN started going 11.92 on the stock turbo. Heads and turbo upgrades would have put it way into the 11's. Contemplating a cage in the Buick, I stopped where I was and bought an RX-7 to tear up. I installed the LC2 in the RX-7 and could care less about 'ruining' the inside of it with a cage. Hey, it's also 1000lbs lighter :)

Just sharing my expirence. powersix

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hit or miss I guess. Aquaman's old car sold for 10k now. With all the stuff it had I can't believe it lasted that long at all! A 10 second car with everything done should fetch 10k easy and fairly quickly but it didn't.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you are only making 113mph in the 1/4,do not worry about a cage!!
I am running 130mph in the 1/4 with no cage and plan on putting a cage in regardless of a decrease in resale value,it may save my life one day!!
It will help stiffen up the car,therefore improving 60 foot times.......so i am told.

Mike. powersix

·
Registered
227 Posts
Call me mud, Aquaman wouldn't be from New Hampshirewould he?

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fastbuick

117 MPH with low boost and timing on a hurt head gasket. I can see 130 with it cranked.

plow

Aquaman is from N.C. or Georgia I think. He sold it to Rick in N.H. who just sold it last week for 10k.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts