Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing with alot of different cars in the last 10 years, it just seems that these motors are on the noisy side. Am I the only one who notices this? Nothing ugly, just good old mechanical noises.

------------------
86GN-X clone,206/206 cam,ported heads,port matched intake,poston's ceramic headers,ceramic crossover,Kirban 3" DP,KB 3" single exhaust,3" test pipe, Stainless ultraflow,Red Stripes,ATR 7th,BGC pump,Hotwire,Voltbooster,TB heat bypass,Joe Lubrant chips,scanmaster,KB ram air,K&N,as many wheel and tire combos as women have shoes, and a little bit of boost.

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
Nah I disagree. The Buick 231 engines are one of the quietest engines I've heard especially for sports car engines. The only thing that's loud on my engine is the squeaking of the pulley belts

------------------
1987 Buick Grand National; Stock except for the following: Poston chromed mass-air flow pipe, 9" K&N air filter, 3" ATR stainless downpipe w/racing CAT, 3" ATR stainless exhaust system, Poston UltraChip - Note to all Ford/Chevy owners: BUICK OWNZ JOO;)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes they are noisey little engines"esp the belt"I notice a new noise all the time & another will go away??Its the ****tey idle that gets me"I have done everything to this motor to no avail it still idles like crap"But haules butt anyway?I guess its just a normal thing"I see complants on this all the time.However I did see 1 at Bristol that did idle smooth as silk?

------------------
Keith Davis--Moneypit86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by d0n_3d:
The Buick 231 engines are one of the quietest engines I've heard especially for sports car engines. The only thing that's loud on my engine is the squeaking of the pulley belts

Sports car engine?
I'm not going there, but the belt squeal is driving me nuts.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited August 11, 2001).]

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
Yes I agree...

I have the stock cam, untouched stock heads, GM lifters in my rebuild and theres a trace of "tick tick tick tick" if you really really listen. Ad to that the pulsing of the injectors... the accessories on the front..(specially the tensioner pulley when that bearing starts to wear).

Then the guys who run some of the aftermarket cams.. that tick fairly loudly.. BUT are fine.. just how they sound..

Mines uncapped and has been since I took it to the track last July [too lazt to crawl under and put the exhaust back on]... No engine noises anymopre

BUT.. WWWWHHHHHSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.. is all I hear, and then when I get out of the car I can't hear a damn thing.

------------------
Steve Ruston
1987 Turbo Limited

·
Stealth Cruiser
49 Posts
Mine is pretty quiet, but I do have the slight 'ticking' noise that Steve mentioned. Kinda makes me nervous.

------------------
Steve

1987 Grand National, 27.3K Original Miles, T-Tops, Auto Meter ProComp2 Ultra-Lite Memory/Shift-Lite Tach & Ultra-Lite Gauges (Boost, Water Temp & Oil Press), ATR Pitbull Chip, Red Top Injectors, Walbro 340, Accufab Adj. FPR, Mobil 1, Adj. Wastegate Actuator, ATR Stainless Steel 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust w/Testpipe & Dump Tube, Kenne-Bell Ram Air w/K&N, Fully Braced, T/A Rear End Cover, American Racing Type 26 Wheels (Flawless original GN rims in storage).
----------
Dynomax Race Magnum Welded Mufflers are up next.
Wheels & Tires coming this winter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Joe 1320,
My 100,000 mile TR's have some cold start main brg. noise, some timing chain noise, and of course tha cam sensor "tick" until warm. The timing chain will be changed soon,but IMO the rest is of little consequence, we do oil changes by the hundreds at the dealership,very common to hear crank brg noise until oil pressure builds, as well as other various engine "sounds"

Jim T

·
my bitch is on fire!!
908 Posts
Noisy, depends on what you're listening to! MY engine (afore the spinned beering started making noise) was basically dead quiet as far as mechanical noise! However, when it comes to "FEEL", I've NEVER been able to bring myself to run it past it's built-in shift point! After 15 years, I finally got a tach, and deduced that my engine has NEVER been to 5000, and probably hasn't been to 4800! Feels like a bomb ready to go off at 4500! WORST "feeling" engine I've ever had!

flip the coin--the wife's mustang...just for kicks, I drove it in first gear one day for about 2 miles at 5200 (about 50 mph)...dead smooth, not a hiccup! Temp started to climb was the only problem! The 350 in the '84 vette is damn near the same way!

------------------
NOTE MY NEW WEBSITE URL!
www.buickfromhell.com
(For custom dress-up items!)
AND my new e-mail address:
[email protected]
thanks!

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
BFH - you're 100% right... They dont rev out very nicely.. Mine at 4800-5000 sounds liek all hell is breaking loose under there.. but its fine as I drive it like that every time I get behind the wheel.

Another thing I find.. I notice that higher boost (20+ PSI) seems to fill in any gaps and tightens up the looseness sounds when going WOT

------------------
Steve Ruston
1987 Turbo Limited

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the noises I hear (other than the stupid belt squeal) are just good old fashioned mechanical noises. I redid the motor about 20K miles ago and even with the slight cam sensor tick, it holds strong. No load related bearing noises at all. I just wish I could fix that blasted belt noise. Perhaps underdrive pulleys and shorter belt? I've been avoiding the pulleys because of potential charging problems. Any merit to this thought?

------------------
86GN-X clone,206/206 cam,ported heads,port matched intake,poston's ceramic headers,ceramic crossover,Kirban 3" DP,KB 3" single exhaust,3" test pipe, Stainless ultraflow,Red Stripes,ATR 7th,BGC pump,Hotwire,Voltbooster,TB heat bypass,Joe Lubrant chips,scanmaster,KB ram air,K&N,as many wheel and tire combos as women have shoes, and a little bit of boost.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited August 17, 2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts