Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lent out my turbo to a friend while his was getting rebuilt, his cars is running lean which is probably why he needed a new turbo.

I'm thinking there will be heat cracks... what do you guys think???

:6: :6:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
what turbo did he have?

Time for an egt and a wb

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Not to be a smart a$$ but I dont think there is an internal combustion engine made that can put out the heat and temps required to that type of damage to the turbine blades. If they are cracked than something flew through the turbine to cause it.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you are way off base here, it is quite obvious the EGTs were very high when the turbine wheel is white.
the turbo that was rebuilt was a te45a and had small cracks at the base of several blades, there was no other damage, nothing went through the turbo
the only reason it was rebuilt was a blown oil seal.

I am quite concerned with the condition of my turbo after being subjected to very high EGTs (mine is a PT52)

:6: :6: :6:

turbofish38 said:
Not to be a smart a$$ but I dont think there is an internal combustion engine made that can put out the heat and temps required to that type of damage to the turbine blades. If they are cracked than something flew through the turbine to cause it.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I cant see any cracks. Maybe a more detailed photo might have helped. Yes the white is an indication of it running lean. I stand by my statement.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
White probably indicates lead from race gas. I usually run my cars a tid rich (not on the lean exploding edge) and the pipes are always very white after burning race gas. The picture provided above is too blurry to take any guesses.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You can put enough heat into a turbo to crystilize the turbine wheel.
If in doubt talk to some tractor pullers, anyone's that's lost their WI during a pull probably has done that.
I didn't see any cracks in that pic..
I wouldn't doubt that losing some of a piston could act erosively, thou.

·
Registered
284 Posts
And what egt temp caused this?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You can put enough heat into a turbo to crystilize the turbine wheel
Since practically all metals are crystalline, including the alloys used in the turbine wheel, it would not take much heat to do something that nature already did.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
FROST said:
And what egt temp caused this?
There was a spike that pegged the EGT.
As I recall it was ~2,200 dF.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ormand said:
Since practically all metals are crystalline, including the alloys used in the turbine wheel, it would not take much heat to do something that nature already did.
OK, let me break it down for you, it crystalized the compressor wheel, so badly that it fractured, then various forces, then allowed it to break into little pieces, that managed to have enough energy to tear the compressor housing apart, and scatter parts for several yards, after tearing through the hood.

Crystallized, is different then being of a crystalline nature, for most car guys. I'm sure with all that higher level education you have, you can mince words and definitions, but you haven't actually contributed anything other then letting more people see that you're more into nit picking, rather then actually contributing.

BTW, just to play the same silly game as you, if they're already crystalline, then no heat should needed, if they're already in that state.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Bruce, you contributed absolutely nothing to this discussion, because you have NO factual knowledge on the subject. You are legendary for your misunderstanding of simple engineering subjects, and have been the source for much amazement and amusement on the boards, even by those who only come to read your rants. In the style of Humpty Dumpty, you choose for words to mean "whatever you want them to mean", but in the real world, using words with no set meaning does not provide any information.
In order your hypothesis to be correct, the exhaust gasses must have passed through the heads, the exhaust headers, and the turbine housing, without heating them, or they would all have "crystallized", and subsequently failed. And, as I pointed out, it would "not take much heat" to crystallize a material which is already crystalline. But to some, who are into mincing words and nitpicking, "no heat" would have been the best wording.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ormand said:
Bruce, you contributed absolutely nothing to this discussion, because you have NO factual knowledge on the subject.
Factual, ya like fact that NACA was somehow involved with the notion that Bubble bees couldn't fly, that you claimed. LMAO

Thanks for allowing me to remind you of just how perfect you are.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
ULYCYC said:
Ormands last post first paragraph. :usa:
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
George, I am beginning to think Bruce has got a firm hold on your goat.

I rounded up about 300 today..but, there is another 30 or so mavericks out there hiding...if you like, I will ship them to you so you have a good supply on hand :D

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:
George, I am beginning to think Bruce has got a firm hold on your goat.
I'm not allowed any where near livestock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts