Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran my car at the strip last weekend and turned a 14.028 @ 99.51mph with a 2.3 60'. It was probably close to 80 degrees that day. I'm wondering how much faster the car will run if the temp was only 50 degrees? I'm looking to beat my 13.98/97mph run from 2 years ago (made in 65 degree weather). Also, will the colder temps make the track surface less sticky?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't want to be rude, but I think you have bigger problems than the temp. I feel like with just those mods your car should be much faster. My car's set up is very close to your own and I have produced much better times.
Please don't take this the wrong way.

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
On a 93 Thrasher chip at 17 psi? I think it's running stock times just fine. The only solution to "much better" times and speed is more boost, better gas, better 60' and the adjustments that go along with all that. To answer your question about the track conditions, it will be more slippery as the ground gets colder but the cold air will pack a more dense air charge. That will affect your a/f ratio and you will be running rich, thus requiring a lower fuel pressure adjustment for improved all-out performance. However, you gotta stay out of knock retard.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I've been to all day track outings when a 30deg air differences occurred. I picked up 2 tenths. But this is no rule or guideline. All tracks and cars react different. Also I don't consider 80deg being to hot to run. What I mean is you will see more improvement between 65deg and 95deg. This is where my results are from. But forget all this and get a set of slicks and don't rely on the weatherman. wink

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Jimmy

Do you still have your cat in place?? Mine was costing me at least 5 tenths (14.0 dropped to 13.5) eek!

I've run as fast as 13.4 with my Red's 93 and 20lb of boost on street tires through the stock turbo and d/pipe. But I had 100 octane in the tank. headbang

Buy some slicks and get yourself some 110 with a 110 chip and your tickling 12's. :D

Dan cheers

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just hoping to get a tenth or two with the colder weather that is forecast for this weekend. Want to keep running 94 octane and street tires for now and see how fast I can go. I have a test pipe in place of the cat. Didn't feel like it was spinning but it's hard to tell with the helmet and all the noisy ass V8's!

Steve, can I run slicks and 1.8 60' times with a stock driveline and suspension???

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I am sure you were spinning and YES you can run the stock driveline much faster then that. I ran many years in the mid 1.6's with a stock driveline. The unoffical rule is high 1.5's for some upgrades.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Jimmy, I run ET streets and leave with 5lbs and have cut 1.7's on my totally stock driveline.

If you go with slicks, remember the driveshaft loop or the track may not let you run.

HTH

Dan canada

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Rob (Firebird-1252) Is cutting high 1.6's and on Nitto's with a stock driveline. He is stock and running 12.7's. the track he likes (LI Motorsports) is the worst prepped in the East.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Even I have cut 1.8s (1.84)on 16" CompTAs not drag radials. Although it helps to have the stickiest track in the country in my back yard headbang .

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Nasty Wendy:
Even I have cut 1.8s (1.84)on 16" CompTAs not drag radials. Although it helps to have the stickiest track in the country in my back yard headbang .
Well, aren't you a stickler! :)

On an other note, I put down a 1.67 on BFG Drag Radials. This was in my low milage car, pretty well all stock, except the pump, chip, fpr, and K&N. Oh and I ran a [email protected] only revving it to 4500rpm.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
ULYCYC:
Rob (Firebird-1252) Is cutting high 1.6's and on Nitto's with a stock driveline. He is stock and running 12.7's. the track he likes (LI Motorsports) is the worst prepped in the East.
yup 1.69 at LI motorsports park. the best time was a 12.72 and i lifted. easyly would have been a 12.6x pass but i prolly would have blown a hg.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I'm still faster. yup powersix headbang

Even with my cheesy 1.85's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts