Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a good, stainless steel dual muffler system in either 2.75" or 3". I'm aware that some of these can be loud. Is that with or wihtout a cat? If it's without a cat, would a cat make it a little or a lot quieter? Or not quieter at all?

·
Registered
271 Posts
quite a bit....

and if you get a THDP, it acts like a megaphone, and you'll find you car is louder with a THDP than with NO DOWNPIPE hooked up at all..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already got a THDP with the "hi-flow" cat that Jack Cotton sold me. And it doesn't sound any louder than stock. The rest of the exhaust is stock. So logically, my next move would be to get a better exhaust. I've heard some people comment on how loud their exhaust is. I was curious if that was with or without a cat.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I've got a stock car GN POS, and a WE4 with the THDP, Poston headers, race cat., S.S.Ultraflow, dual 2.5" SS exhaust. There is a difference but it is not huge or uncomfortable at all with the dual system. The cat. will act like a muffler of sorts. It is a restriction. More drone with the dual system but not harsh or anything.

I heard a car in NYC with just pipes from the headers to the back that was loud in and out of the car.

[This message has been edited by salvageV6 (edited July 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have one of the loudest systems out there. THDP, test pipe w/dump, and a single shot ATR system to end it. THe car was quieter with an open turbo...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the ATR 3" crossflow, with the hi-flo cat that came with my thdp, as well as poston headers. I don't think the car is loud, but my wife does. I had no cat for a while, I could not take the drone. But that was partly due to a rigged, leaky test pipe. But IME, the cat makes more difference than anything else. (Well, except that time I fired it up with no O2 sensor and open headers, THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts