Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
T you later
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see how many of you guys are making 500+ on a stock Turbo crank...
Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
500+ here.

No dyno but 129mph in 3600lb car. Girdle and trw's.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Here Here. :6:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It's easier to make 500 on a cast crank!!!!!!!!! period..........
PS: cast= approx. 34 lbs. eagle forged= approx. 40+ lbs.
So how's that grab ya, a lighter crank will let the engine/car accelarate quicker although hp maybe the same at a given rpm however torque maybe more with a heavier rotating mass.
PS: how about 600+ at the rearwheels. 23lbs. of boost, 130+ mph and 3650 lbs. and just two steel center mains :6:

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Estimated 560RWHP based on ET/MPH/weight formula which is probably 575+ peak on a dyno. Shooting for ~590. Stock crank/rods with ARP rod bolts and a girdle in a +.040 4.1L shortblock with SpeedPro hypers with the coated skirts.

·
T you later
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Not sure if I want to put my Eagle crank in the motor or spend the $$ on a roller cam kit. The car made 533 at the wheels with stock crank and 2 center caps. The $$ it would cost to get the flex plate, balancer, and machine work, just to use the eagle crank would probibly cover the cam.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
if you have the eagle just put it in- its a nice peice, and its a good peice of mind if your gonna run it hard. alot of guys run stock cranks pretty fast- but its one of those things where every time you go through the traps, its like - sweet it didnt blow apart

look at the #s bannings putting up with a NA crank :yup:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think the stock lower end is good for a bit more than 500 hp.

The real question is, "After 20 years, how much longer is it going to be good for 500 hp?"

And, that, is probably an impossible question. Too many variables involved such as how much detonation has it seen, how much rpm has it seen, how good was the balance on the rotating assembly, how good was the casting processing the day it was made, is it going to see 500 hp applied several times a day, or once a year, and so on...........

Only thing I know is that the faster you go, the more often something breaks...that is the way racing has always been. :)

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
I wish I was as cool as you guys. :D One day I will be there (500+ hp). Don't really know when, but I will do it with a stock crank, well at least for a little while. :D :headbang:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts