Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
smoke 'em
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going this weekend. First time out this year. 28" 10.5 mt slicks. Stock driveshaft. 5lbs?.......to start? Thanks, Dave
btw..I know somethings gonna go. Who's been there??

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'd start with what you usually launch with then start taking it up until it spins or it scares you :D

Stock U joints and all??

·
Registered
278 Posts
i took my gn out earlier today because a friend said to uset he ebrake for a launch...holy poop it works!

·
smoke 'em
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what front yoke they put on it. They said if I broke the shaft, they could re-use the yoke on a strong custom one for $275.00.
I ordered an alky chip from Eric and I can't wait to see this bugger run. This converter as soon as you nail it, goes to 3500 and boost is there now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thats why I would leave with -2 psi and go from there..

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
if its gonna break- its gonna break so go all out :D your not gonna know how much it can completely hold untill you break it- so you might as well launch at a level you would like to launch at and see if it can take it :yup:

·
MASTER GM TECH
676 Posts
ya going to the rock or brainerd???
btw car club meeting tomorrow (thursday) if interested at porkies
7-9pm should be a few cars there if weather permits!!!!
-dan

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts
grey1 said:
Going this weekend. First time out this year. 28" 10.5 mt slicks. Stock driveshaft. 5lbs?.......to start? Thanks, Dave
btw..I know somethings gonna go. Who's been there??

If you were in BG you would have seen what a 15 psi launch will do to a cromoly driveshaft and good u joints.. :mad:

I have launched between 10-20 psi for years depending on the track.

·
smoke 'em
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your input guys

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
V6RACER said:
If you were in BG you would have seen what a 15 psi launch will do to a cromoly driveshaft and good u joints.. :mad:

I have launched between 10-20 psi for years depending on the track.
Jason, I seen that happen man was I about scared out of my boots I thought you were going to hit the wall for a second there.

I did not realize you had a beefed up driveshaft/joints. I just assumed that it was stock because of the way it snapped so quickly.

I did see your previous run to that and it seemed pretty strong.

Got it fixed yet? Are you going to Salem & Indy?

Jason

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
And...

NICK'S1987BUICKGN said:
i took my gn out earlier today because a friend said to uset he ebrake for a launch...holy poop it works!
That's a good way to wad up the rear brake backing plates.. :rolleyes:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
My vac brakes alone will hold 4 psi launch & break rears (255x60-15 streets)loose @ 5 psi. I only get 2300rpm (w/ 2800 stall?) b4 smoking rears @ standstill,,,

·
smoke 'em
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got 8 gall. c-16 from my neighbor Jack Penzindaz so NO ALKY tomorrow!! CCCRRRAAANNNKK re up. :D

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts
2 qk 4 u said:
Jason, I seen that happen man was I about scared out of my boots I thought you were going to hit the wall for a second there.

I did not realize you had a beefed up driveshaft/joints. I just assumed that it was stock because of the way it snapped so quickly.

I did see your previous run to that and it seemed pretty strong.

Got it fixed yet? Are you going to Salem & Indy?

Jason
I broke the u joint at the rear yoke. That driveshaft has been in the car for several years. Most likely fatigue. When I heard it break I jumped over to the wall as not to dump any fluids on the track groove for my fellow racers.. :headbang: I really thought the rear let loose. I replaced the driveshaft in the pits and could have made the next round of qualifying but something in the trans is locked up. I hope to have a new tranny and driveshaft and make it to Indy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts