Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to the website to look into ordering one. I was thinking that setup was around $150.
Does the $300 price tag make Direct scan a better deal?

Earl

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
TurboLink has been going up in price as it is being updated monthly... unlike DS which hasn't seen an upgrade in my life time.

'Wood might remember the last time one occured. wink

Take from that what you will in terms of value.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Turbolink went windows and now covers a number of cars other than Regals....

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
TRBON8R:
Sorry, I just heard the part about 300 clams. The thought of that got me all excited. poon poon poon
As long as they are not of the bearded variety...

·
Registered
683 Posts
With the plug in cable the price is about $150 for the newest version. The new format is much better than the original version. Ken is working on a PDA version too. Maybe a wireless version (Centrino Processor) would be even more cool. Gene

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve Wood:
Turbolink went windows and now covers a number of cars other than Regals....
I used to have a girlfriend named Jodi. Jodi liked women as well as men. You would think that would make her worth more to me. When actually, she wouldn't be with other women if there was a man in the room.
Moral of the story, even though she could scan more that just me, it didn't do me any damn good.
Since all I want to scan is one Regal, I can't see paying double. Looks like I need to find me something else.
Where can I find some more info on Direct scan?

Earl

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
??? 30 psi isn't normal
497 Posts
Earl definitely buy DS ...I have both Turbo Link and DS. DS gives far more usable data. The log rate of turbolink is just too slow one frame every 1.5 seconds to DS's 18 frames a second.

just my 2 cents :D

David

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just a quick question,How accurate is the HP&torque figures in the program?
I ordered mine from Cotton's today.
Thanks
Bill headbang usa

·
Did I fire 6 or only 5???
179 Posts
The RWHP numbers on Direct Scan seem to read a bit low. My car couldn't possibly have run the times that it did on the numbers Direct Scan was showing.

·
Did I fire 6 or only 5???
179 Posts
No major bugs to my knowledge. Lots of folks have been waiting for a software upgrade that would allow DS to sense boost. Unfortunately that hasn't shown up yet. I don't think a boost sensing option would be of any use to ME chip users like myself anyway since the ME chip does away with the boost solenoid. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Red A. has a boost sensing DS and others that he tunes. His adapting I Think? DS is hard wired to each car and is mounted direct to the ECM.(soldered directly to the PC Board and must be done correctly or damage can occur) The TL can be moved from vehicle to vehicle and is a plug in unit. The speed of the processor is correct but is it really needed? Most of the sensors have a built in delay to the ECM and this gets some people into trouble as damage to the engine can occur. Some additional thoughts to consider. Gene

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: ILBCNU6 ]</small>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
My Direct Scan plugs into the ECM circuit board.

You don't solder anything.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
No soldering, DS connector slides onto the engineering terminal on the ecm board as Salvage says.

Boost sensing is done by using a Turbolink cable and converting the mat readings.

DS can be programmed to monitor other functions of the ecm with some command line instructions as well-info provided in the dS manual.

DS can be flaky if the connection is not solid and cause bad running and multiple error codes.

A bit of a pain, but, it provides much more info. The HP/torque numbers are calculated and generally meaningless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts