Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious...I've been doing various upgrades with my 87' GN and I was thinking about getting new headers since my stock ones are looking kinda ragged (no cracks yet though). I was wondering do I really need to go out and get new headers to keep my car fast? Or can I keep my stock headers and still do all the upgrades and still keep the car at peak performance w/ the upgrades (ex. 3"DP, 3" SS Dual Exhaust System, new air induction system). Any feedback is much appreciated

------------------
Why does everyone have to be a Chevy or Ford fan? Buick whoops them both! The Corvette is over-rated, and Camaros and Mustangs are so common, everyone and their mum owns one. With the Grand National, you not only have a fast car, you have a REALLY fast car! Not to mention it's not seen everyday like the cars I mentioned. I've raced Mustangs and Camaros with my stock 87' GN and I was never impressed with the opponents efforts=D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
stock ones work well into the tens.

If you like, you can clean up the ports at the entry to make them flow a bit better.

I have a set that went 10.4. Guy sold them to put on the ATR headers....he went 10.4 again.

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. You are god on this site. Glad to have very knowledgable guys like you in the Turbo Regal community

------------------
Why does everyone have to be a Chevy or Ford fan? Buick whoops them both! The Corvette is over-rated, and Camaros and Mustangs are so common, everyone and their mum owns one. With the Grand National, you not only have a fast car, you have a REALLY fast car! Not to mention it's not seen everyday like the cars I mentioned. I've raced Mustangs and Camaros with my stock 87' GN and I was never impressed with the opponents efforts=D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Wait, Wait! Don't say things like that! Zap will have a field day! LOL

I don't walk on water and there are many that know far more than me. I have not been to the strip in years as I have a lowered car with stiff springs that won't launch.

I just have been messing with these things since I bought my GN back in 86 and I have been on the lists for a long time. Most of what I know, I learned from others and I just pass it along.

I am lucky enough to live in Houston near Lawrence Conley and have made friends online with Chuck Leeper, Nick Micale, Steve Yaklin, Neal Steward, Lonnie Diers and others who really know their stuff. I pay attention to them and try to learn something.

Bout the only good thing about getting old is that one has a lot of chances to learn something! *g*

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
That is correct. When will you answer me?

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
NO, no, Steve, you are god....Steve "ALLAH" Wood

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Watch it, I will come live with you and act like God.....or your Father, and point out everything you do wrong. You will swear you have two wives without double benefits!

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Watch it, I will come live with you and act like God.....or your Father, and point out everything you do wrong. You will swear you have two wives without double benefits!
Hmm..as long as you dont mind being spanked too, move on over :p

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL

------------------

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ryan Guy up in OR has gone [email protected] with a ton of boost (30psi+) and stock headers.

Stock block/crank/rods/TRW pistons, center billet main caps, radically ported stock heads, ported lower intake, 218/218 cam, T-76 turbo, 55lbers and 7th+8th injectors, stock ported headers, TH3" DP, FMIC.... and crossing his fingers that the stock block still holds up to this punishment without letting the rods pop out the side of the block.

Low 10's have been done by a few with ported stock headers as well. But stepping up to ATR/Terry Houston/Kenne Bell headers is about $800 for maybe 20-30hp. If you got the wallet they are very nice additions. And they crack just like the stockers.... The Terry Houston's have recently been released and there are some pics of them on www.turbobuick.com. They look awesome... I would get a set of those if I had the $$$$.

GNX7

------------------
2725lb '87 RX-7 w/ '87 GN driveline. [email protected] on NittoDR +stk GN turbo
http://www.v8rx7.com/mark.htm

·
Registered
244 Posts
Adding to what gnx7 said, Ryan's car also has stock size valves and is a full-weight, all-steel GN with t-tops and A/C and ran consistent 10.20s before the 9-sec. run. Stock headers AND crossover (for you, Phatman). Driven to the track. I bow down to it and say "I'm not worthy," any time I see it at the track.

The last time I saw his car, almost a year ago, it had a fenderwell dump DP. Just like the "old days." It was like 4" diam. and he made it himself!

------------------
Rhett Lee
Had to leave Hawaii for Oregon, but now I have a Turbo Regal!
If only I could get it to run right...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts