Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far can a TE60 be pushed? My 60 has already exceeded my expectations for Old Reliable. :D Mine still has a little more left in it (I think). What are real world times for a 60?

I remember Tim Stockwell pushed a stock motor with a 60 into the high tens. But he was also pushing oil out of every hole in the motor.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Practically, you are close...10.9 is probably about it even if theory says more. The turbo was not pushing the oil out on Tim' :) s

·
Village Idiot
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, I've always heard they will do a high 10. But I've never really seen anybody post about it. Just wondering what their combos were.

I guess Tim's motor pushing oil is just a internet rumor. I read it on the internet so it had to be real. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think he pushed the dipstick out every run from blowby.

I also thought he was running a 61?

Really you are running high tens with the right 60'

·
Village Idiot
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to try to get a ten out of it before I slow it down. I was running 20 degrees of timing and 25# of boost. So I still have a little left in it. My 60 foot aren't that bad. My best was a 1.59, average was low 1.6. But they always can be improved.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
1of1547 said:
I want to try to get a ten out of it before I slow it down. I was running 20 degrees of timing and 25# of boost. So I still have a little left in it. My 60 foot aren't that bad. My best was a 1.59, average was low 1.6. But they always can be improved.
Rather modest timing and boost, or are you running lower octane?

·
Village Idiot
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TurboDave said:
Rather modest timing and boost, or are you running lower octane?

I was running C16 with zero knock. I am a little gun shy since I have had so many problems with Old Reliable. Every pass we would put a little more fuel and boost into it. I was having problems with the timing side of my T+. I plugged the timing sided back in and it started working with out any coil pack codes. So we upped it 4 degrees but then the tranny let go on the line.

I talked to Mike about the T+. He told me to send it back and he will fix it. I am picking up the tranny tonight. So hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get it back together and try it again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't think boost is a factor depending on the heads and cam.
If it' close to it's max CFM @ 25psi, more boost shouldn't help much.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1of1547 said:
Thanks Steve, I've always heard they will do a high 10. But I've never really seen anybody post about it. Just wondering what their combos were.

I guess Tim's motor pushing oil is just a internet rumor. I read it on the internet so it had to be real. :D
tim just had blowby...it was not turbo specific...:)

I think Hank Terry ran a 60 and was in the tens by a bit.

If you look at the rated airflow, it should not be hard...but, I generally think actual performance is about 90% of the rated with a few exceptions.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Doug,
You are right there with your car! The thing is still heavy and is obvoiusly making good power. It is all part of having a correct combination and I am sure with a little tweaking you will get it in the 10's which is very impressive. I ran 11.30 at 121 (with a l/u conv of course) in 1991 or so with a te44 at 3600# plus and I feel I maxed it out. My advice is NOT good......keep pushing it until something comes apart then back it off a little

·
Village Idiot
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EightSecV6 said:
Doug,
You are right there with your car! The thing is still heavy and is obvoiusly making good power. It is all part of having a correct combination and I am sure with a little tweaking you will get it in the 10's which is very impressive. I ran 11.30 at 121 (with a l/u conv of course) in 1991 or so with a te44 at 3600# plus and I feel I maxed it out. My advice is NOT good......keep pushing it until something comes apart then back it off a little
I guess I had the right person recommending the right parts. :D :cheers:

The main reason I started this thread was to see if there is an "official record" for a 60.

I think it would be cool to have a 10 second "daily driver" with two car seats in the backseat. If I get it I will be happy and if I don't I will still be happy. I know it is right around the corner. You know the history of Old Reliable. I've had many parts come apart. We weighed it at Indy. It weighs 3265# and 3480 with my fat ass in it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
1of1547 said:
I guess I had the right person recommending the right parts. :D :cheers:

The main reason I started this thread was to see if there is an "official record" for a 60.

I think it would be cool to have a 10 second "daily driver" with two car seats in the backseat. If I get it I will be happy and if I don't I will still be happy. I know it is right around the corner. You know the history of Old Reliable. I've had many parts come apart. We weighed it at Indy. It weighs 3265# and 3480 with my fat ass in it.
I know of one in the 10's with a car seat in the back! :D

·
Village Idiot
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
n2hipsi said:
I know of one in the 10's with a car seat in the back! :D

Yea and it has a squirrel driving it!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :cheers: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts