Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to take the housing off so,i can put in a 160degree thermostat but i can't get the housing out.i took the one bolt off and the flange but,i can't figure out the housing removal?thanks :confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jay,
Just got back and got the message you called.
I dont have your number here so I will post what you need to know, The therm. Housing should just pull straight out now that you have the bolt out.
There is a rubber o-ring that goes around the housing and that is what is probably holding it in.
-Rich

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It has a o-ring around it and they can be very, very, very tight....shoot some penetrate around it, wait a bit, and then grab it gently with some pliers and try to wiggle it out. Easy to bend up the neck so the prepared bought a new one in advance before starting. LOL

If it has been out before, it should wiggle loose without too much hassle..if never out, then it is probably in there pretty good.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks RICH and STEVE i don't think it has ever been out because the rubber O-RING has turned into petrified metal.lol i'll shoot some sweet stuff on it and try later.thanks :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got the 160 thermostat in and i flushed the fuid.i put in an replacement fuel pressure regulatoR FOR A 89 TURBO ta .IT'S A (gp sorensen pn#800-114)i hope it's the one!i ran the car and it still feels like it has no power adder power but,the TURBO AUDIBLY SPOOLS UP .I CHECKED THE COMPRESSOR WHEEL AND IT'S OK .SINCE I CLEANED THE egrFILTER AND RECONNECTED AND DROVE THE car i have no trouble codes coming up?i had it on a lap top yesterday and everything checked out ok so,i really don't know what it could be.i changed out all the vacuum lines today and it was not it.???it drives like a normally aspirated engine but,when i go wot or part throttle it won't put me back in the seat. :confused:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
So how much boost is it making now?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's exactly what i guess i'll need ;is a boost gauge analogue i have the digital dash.i cahanged the fuel regulator and it still idles very very rich but,it idles ok starts hard when it sits awaile verses just recranking the car.remember STEVE I CHECKED the coils plug wires and changed the plugs and gapped them at 35,ooo;cahanged out the O2SENSOR gutted the CAT,cahanged the temp sensoe,mat sensor ,just not the MAF BUT,we did the tap test and the LAPTOP numbers are showing good.STEVE would the car idle rich if the turbo has a defeciency or not? :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nope...depending upon what chip is in the car, it may idle richer with the 237 regulator as it puts out more fuel pressure. If it is a stock chip, or similar, it will probably relearn the a/f after a short time.

See if you can swap mafs with Rich for a few minutes and see if it runs differently.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STEVE i just drove the car once again and i've got kinda good news .earlier today i installed the 237 fuel pump and no improvements well shortly later STEVE,fuel was leaking out of the regulator .i took it off and found that the new o-ring was split and cracked so,i put my old o-ring on the 237 and also i installed the racetronix upgrade wiring kit and now the car seems to be alive even at 85mph i can go wot and the turbo boost will come on ;i know because i feel it kick on at 85mph wot.the only problem i have is i don't know if this car is running as fast as a t-type should (stock form);so,i think i'll take it back to RICH and let him drive the car and see if my t-type is acting like a good running t-type should i will also see if i can use his MAF like you advised me too;and put his laptop back on it since i did the mods and see what comes up.Right now,i have no problem codes coming on. oh yea RICH said yesterday that my car has the stock chip."FOR NOW" :D lol :)

<small>[ June 14, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
get a boost gauge on it before someone has to tell you how to change headgaskets! :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can a non-adjustable stock wastegate and stock chip still boost to high causing a blown head gasket?is that what your saying STEVE?when i get a boost gauge will i just BOOST to like 14 pounds or what.i see alot of people boost high numbers verses say stock numbers .STEVE my car seems to boost at part throttle and part throttle to WOT good;but at a stand still or at 5-10 mph it just doesn't wake me up when i gas the car ? :)

<small>[ June 15, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If there is a pin hole in the lines, it can over boost. If the arm is sticky, it can over boost.

At any rate, we don't know if your car is getting the boost it can use, not enuf, or too much. We don't know if it the boost is coming up too slow, etc.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
due to the heat, nothing that I am aware of.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MORNING STEVE,since i put the 237 pump and the hot wire kit on 2 days ago my car has stalled twice when i tried to leave WOT from a stop sign .The first time it caught me by suprise ;i eas pulling out in traffic and it stalled the car when i punched it.Is it flooding out now because of to much fuel ?What could be the reason and can i correct the stalling problem?thanks jay :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sorry. :D , I have no idea. I kinda doubt that it is the regulator/hot wire. When you get a chance to get with Rich, he can look at the blms and see if the car is within factory range. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok. steve ,when i start the car it's so rich that it's smoky out the exhaust but,if i don't let the car sit for to long it will start easier so,it must be running too rich,I'LL have RICH check the numbers .thanks :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jay,
We are going up to the track at leiscter this friday night, If you can swing on over there and we can take a good look at your car. I will bring my scan tool and we will see If we cant get that car into shape. :D
-Rich

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok thanks RICH .What time are you guys going to be there?i just checked all my plugs and they all seem to be burning the same good golden brown color but the car is almost not wanting to start at all since i put the new regulator on and the hot wire kit on and today i manually turned the injector tops and wow the car is even harder to start than yesterday .I just started the car and it took me about 10 minutes and the fuel smell is tremendious but :confused: i had to gas the pedal a little while turning it over the last time to get it to start finally."it smells rich; rich smoke out the exhaust but it will chirp the tires into second gear way better than the other day i even beat a 5.0 today at 55mph and faster. see ya FRIDAY night .thanks JAY :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jay,
We will be up there about 6:00 PM
See you there :D
-Rich

1 - 20 of 20 Posts