Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched this guy pull up to the traffic light and the car quit running. He opens the trunk and gets out the gas can, like he had done it at least once before. :confused:

You would almost think he would start leaving gas in the can, if it happens that often.

He wasn't that young either, so that's not the excuse.

I cannot remember one single time in all the years i've been driving that i ever ran out of gas. Even on cars that the gas gauge didn't work, i would just keep track of the mileage. :dunno:

·
The Tranny Guy
605 Posts
my honda has done it to me once, it usually gets 350 miles to the tank. i was driving back from my girlfriends parents house (3 hours) and the damn thing only got 223. :confused: i was only 1 mile from my exit!

My girlfriends camaro ran out of gas one time, the gas gague stopped working and we didnt know. it ran out of gas last week, but that was because we need to drop the tank and swap in a FI tank. *edit* now that i think about it, it did run out of gas another time. i was on my way to the gas station and i shut off and i coasted up to the pump. :D

i dont think the monte carlo has ever accidentally ran out of gas.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
I have done it on purpose a few to times to see what average I can get on a tank...and to see how accurate the gas gauge was...

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
It has not happen to me but it has happened to my dad a couple of times.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The only time I ran out of gas was when I was trying to run the tank low before I got to the track - didn't want to dilute the racegas.

Ran it too low:( didn't end up racing either.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I've done it more times than I care to admit. I'm one of those guys who doesn't fill up unless the needle is sitting on that first hash mark and its been sitting there for at least 10 miles. And some of my cars I only drive a couple of days out of the month anyway so if I parked it and it was siiting on E than chances are I've forgot that I was running on fumes. Most of my cars have a low fuel light and they are pretty accurate. The bad part is how they function. On the Roadmaster it has to sit on E for 5 minutes before it lights. The turbo cars only need one minute. The digital cars are my favorite. Flip the knob over to metric and see how many miles I can drive while its counting off the liters. I've driven 20 miles with the E flashing before. We all know how accurate the fuel gauges are on our cars right? Most of the time the fuel pump makes so much noise that I pull in to gas up just so its quiet. Hey,when there's a station on every corner its not that big of a deal sometimes. The nice thing about FI cars though is that they give you plenty of warning when you're on fumes.

Maybe that guy was living from paycheck to paycheck. You know the type. Wasted the gas money on a six pack the day before and was hoping to squeeze by until payday. I cant think of how many times I've seen some retard dump a couple of bucks worth of change on the counter to buy a pack of smokes and $2 worth of gas. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I did it once with my boss in the car in my 1970 Olds, funny thing is the gauge is almost the size of a 5" tach. in that car. :crazy:
Just never looked at it I guess. :dunno:

Ran down to fumes 3 times in the TR's, once last month.

Fumes and the alky. prime button got me the last half mile this time.

I've done it trying to get to my regular gas station or a Sunocco station instead of going to the first station I pass by. :sw:

The last time in the WE4 really got me worried as the first quarter mile was up a hill but once I reached the peak I knew I could coast down the last 1/4, didn't have to though still had power. :D

The GN digital dash is very accurate in my car, I no longer let it go to flashing E, or below 2 gallons anymore. :cool:

Back in high school my buddy and I ran out in his '62 Mercury Meteor, after pushing that thing down the main drag a ways you would have thought I would have learned a lesson.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts