Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost wish I would have never even bought them. I am sure if I can work through the problems I will think different. All the trimming I had to do just to get the lights in the front bumper and now I see the fillers are unsupported now. What is anyone else using to hold them into position? TIA

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the bumpers but the reinforcements. Fiberglass bumpers don't have these so the fillers drop down. Someone with fiberglass bumpers has modded them in a way for support but I have never seen how up close. Anyone help on this?

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you guys using the factory reinforcement, make a support or other?

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Dude, I'm not using anything to support my fillers. I run fiberglass front and rear bumpers and I don't have a problem with the fillers. I really can't visualize the problem you are having. dunno

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well to give you a feel I think factory the bottoms rested on the C channel reinforcement attached to the inside of the bumper. With Kirban's fiberglass bumpers all you have is mounting brackets with no reinforcements. I tried to ask Jack Cotton about his today and he also said no problem but didn't know what was holding them up. My guess is the people that have had a body shop install them...1- they made mods for this or ...2- they reused the steel or aluminum reinforcements. Without anything there to hold the up the sag bad frown

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nasty Wendy:
Dude, I'm not using anything to support my fillers. I run fiberglass front and rear bumpers and I don't have a problem with the fillers. I really can't visualize the problem you are having. dunno
If you could do me a huge favor I will have my answer. What bumper supplier do you have? Look under your car at the bumpers and see if you have a metal reinforcement or something made up holding them up. The answer will be there. Thanks!

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't install something to hold them up it is just a matter of time until the heat will get to them letting them drop down to the point that they will be unfixable. I was told Bill Anderson attaches some fiberglass pieces to the inside of his to support them but haven't seen the pictures.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
For those with fiberglass bumpers and no supports, what fillers are you using stock or aftermarket? Aftermarket fillers are rigid and wouldn't need the bumper supports.

Mike

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a good point. I bought all new GM fillers. If you have the ABS or Fiberglass fillers it will not be an issue. Maybe everyone is running these with the bumpers other than a selected few loser

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Would it be possible to get some sheet metal (2 sheets) and fold it over into an L shape, bolt one to each of the bumper brackets and use it as a shelf for the tabs on the factory fillers?

Mike

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did find one person using the Kirban's fiberglass bumpers with factory fillers....Ron at Ron's Custom Auto. He uses the foam TV's are packed in cutting it into blocks then attaching it to the bumper with adhesive followed up with a coat of flat black paint. I think I am leaning towards using some sheet metal to do the job. Just have to figure out what is needed.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
I am running factory fillers and a glass bumper w/o any issues.

Maybe you are missing something?

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the rear? The front will be fine but the rear is a different story.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
CallMeMud:
Nasty Wendy:
If you could do me a huge favor I will have my answer. What bumper supplier do you have? Look under your car at the bumpers and see if you have a metal reinforcement or something made up holding them up. The answer will be there. Thanks!
I am using fiberglass bumpers front and rear with the aluminum mounts. I have NO supports, I know this because I installed them myself. I purchased my bumpers and mounts from Micheal McCoy. I am also using the factory fillers. One of the fronts is starting to crack due to its age and our deep south heat but its not sagging. None of the supports are sagging and they are all stock. You may have different experiences with this but for me it works without supports.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checked it out tonight and figured out the best fix. I plan on just getting some aluminum sheet stock and cutting a couple 8" strips, drill some through holes in the three factory filler metal strips that attach by the lights and attach them to the bottom side out to the end following the contour. Will hold them up nicely even when they get old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts