Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GN has an astroroof, and the rails are corroded and it doesn't retract. I'd like to remove it and attemt to repair it. Are there instructions out there on how to do this? Also, are there parts available for it?

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. So I have to get it to move BEFORE I can get it out. This stinks. The slide rail on the driver's side looks like it might disintegrate. . .

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody know who made the Astroroof? Are there any parts suppliers for these things?

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
The astroroof was made by one of GM's subsidiaries. I'm thinking Fisher Body. No new parts are available to repair them. IIRC it doesnt have to work to remove the AR from the car. I couldn't get the link to work but will check those instructions later. That AR was used on just about every GM car made between 1977 and 1988 so you might have some luck finding a good used one. The best source for these are the 1979 to 1985 Riviera and ElDorado/Seville. If you can find one with a rust free pan and in working condition its a plug and play more or less. Just time consuming and a PITA because of the size and weight.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a used one that worked when i took it out. i will sell it but shipping could be a pain--- unless you're close, i live in massachusetts

·
Gone and almost forgotten
1,042 Posts
The link to gnttype.org is still not working as Eric mentioned but if I recall the instructions, that is to remove the glass to replace the seal.

The whole unit can be removed and is easier to work on if it is.

By removing the headliner (and the trim needed to do so) you will see 6 10mm nuts that hold the unit together. Disconnect the wiring and remove the nuts and the unit will drop out. Then you will have access to the motor and mechanisms to find out where it is failing. Maybe it is somehting as simple as loosening, cleaning and lubing.......the tracks that is.....

:dunno:

·
4,813 Posts
And I might add that since you have to dismantle the top part of the car, now is the time to replace the headliner and the weatherstrip around the glass of the AR. I have found that anytime you have to remove the headliner that it will make a big mess in the car. Its a lot easier to work on the AR with the seats removed. Also take out the console if you have one. Its the perfect time to do a complete makeover of the interior assuming your budget can support it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good luck. I recently bought a spare one from a guy in Mass. (no Not Grumpy) who had stored it inside.
I made sure it worked before buying it. It is a big unit.. If you need any photos of the way things should look let me know.

You might try junkyards. I think you can get them off a pontiac parsine & the big wagons of the 80's

·
4,813 Posts
SDsr said:
You might try junkyards. I think you can get them off a pontiac parsine & the big wagons of the 80's
Yep, you can find them on the sedans but you wont see them on wagons because they weren't an option. Any big full size RWD GM. Okay the RivElSevilldorados are FWD and the exception.

·
Gone and almost forgotten
1,042 Posts
turbofish38 said:
Yep, you can find them on the sedans but you wont see them on wagons because they weren't an option. Any big full size RWD GM. Okay the RivElSevilldorados are FWD and the exception.
I have seen some TR's with the Astroroof have a switch that says ASC on it. If I recall correctly I think I saw it on an '86 (if that means anything).

I heard that these were done kind of like after-production at ASC ? Fact or fiction or were all Astroroofs done this (installed after the build) ?

My car has the chrome switch which matches the power window switches.

:dunno:

·
Got it figured out?
876 Posts
I believe there was a "sunroof" that was a after factory install option, but the power astro roof was installed at the factory only. The two units are not the same.

·
Clueless Newbie
108 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. My AR is very slow if it doesn't get stuck. I'll probably just pull down the whole unit. One question though: where do they sell AR headliners? Just get a hard top headliner and cut a hole, or...? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The Astroroof was a GM option, code "CF5". There was another option, called "Hatchroof", code CC1, that was cheaper, and was just a tilt open, I think- not the electric sliding glass like the Astroroof.

·
Neverlift Society
2,293 Posts
Ormand said:
The Astroroof was a GM option, code "CF5". There was another option, called "Hatchroof", code CC1, that was cheaper, and was just a tilt open, I think- not the electric sliding glass like the Astroroof.
CC1 hatchroof were the T-tops if Im remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
CC1 hatchroof were the T-tops if Im remember correctly.
I think you're right. The order sheet just called it "hatch roof", but I found another reference that said "removable panels, glass". There was also CC3, which was "removeable panels, plastic". F bodies, maybe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts