Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put in some 104 fuel but I dont' want it to mix with the 94 that is currently in the tank.

I have been told there is a way to run the pump and pump out all the gas from the tank via the fuel rail??????

I have also been told there will be about 1 gallon of fuel remaining in the tank when the pump is dry.

How do I do this and does it hurt the pump to run dry???

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, it hurts to run the pump dry so stop when you see the first bubbles exit the hose you attach to the fuel rail.

remove the cap and schraeder valve from the fuel rail. Connect a hose.

apply 12 volts to the fuel pump test lead behind the alternator and the pump will run and gas will come out the hose. Watch out for leaks as they and hot engines don't mix.

As i said, stop when you see the first bubbles so you don't burn up the pump.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about 1 gallon of gas remaining in the tank. I will need to take its octane into account if it is still there.

Thanks for the directions.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Probably close to that amount left. But...why do you have to take that into account? There is no magic boost that you automatically set for a given supposed octane.

You gonna have to work up to it in steps to insure you don't blow a head gasket.....or worse! You will also have to balance your fp against boost and best performance.

Leave yourself some margin in case the temp drops or the fuel pump gets tired, etc.

Do yourself and your engine a favor and buy a detonation alarm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run the ever popular Fast Freddie Knock Detector.

I plan to turn the boost up a little at a time until I get knock then back it down.

My biggest problem is I made my own threads on the wastegate actuator rod useing an NC-20 die but a full turn is about 4 lbs of boost for me.

I must be cautious......

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I have never found any thread count to be linear but I have found they usually seem to be the most sensitve as one gets near the maximum shortness-if that description makes any sense.

You can get a quality bleeder and leave your rod at some intermediate shortness that is safe and fine tune with the bleeder or you can spend some money and get a boost commander.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.