Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference as far as performance? I just installed a new hooker exhaust with aerochambers and its very quiet compared to old Kenne Bell with Super Turbos. Before putting mufflers on I looked at them and they are straight thru how can this be quieter??? Are maxflows quiet?
TIA.

Matt

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
The Super Turbos rot out and get noisy. The stainless steel Ultraflows are a good replacement if you have Kenne-Bell stainless pipes. My car got LOT'S quieter with new mufflers vs. the Super Turbos.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Hooker system with MaxFlows here. The MaxFlows are straight through. I believe the quietness is directly affected by the thickness and density of the muffler. I am very satisfied with the MaxFlows. Pretty quiet and not much drone.

The super comp mufflers that the Hooker kit came with were very loud and had way too much drone for me. It's obvious that the super comps are very thin and cheap mufflers.

If you have a draw bridge in your area, go drive over it when the car is at maximum drone. You will notice when you hit the bridge, any drone COMPLETELY goes away. This tells me that the drone is from the sound penetrating the mufflers, hitting the ground and resonating back into the car. When on a draw bridge, the sound doesn't bounce back up into the car because of the grating.

Try the draw bridge test, I wasn't expecting it, and thought the car stalled completely.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited August 12, 2001).]

G

·
I agree with Mike. I also believe that Muffler density has alot to do with droaning. I also had the super turbos in my car and they were unbearable. After swapping to the maxflows the change was drastic.From my experience all mufflers that have that tin can , hollow kinda sound when you tap on them will droan,ie...Flowmonsters,Any brand Turbo style muff,ATR ect.

I just tossed my old Hooker exhaust as it was a 1st run model before being aluminized and it rusted to hell. I pulled the Maxflows off and forgot how heavy they were.These suckers are dense.

Anyways, I reodered another Hooker kit. I will now experiment with both the aerochambers and maxflows and keep the quitest least droaning one.

------------------
http://www.gnttype.org/carofthemonth/archive/sub1/comdetails.html

Louie Lopez

1987 GN
GN 1 heads & intake,1.65 T&D's, 210/210 , JC TE-45,TH DP, V2 IC, PMAC, PI 9.5 LU,Stage Right, 72# MSD,Dual intank pumps,Max Effort, Hooker Exhaust

436 hp 549 ft tq
@ 19-20 psi,100 octane,20deg new time 11.28 118 mph

95 Ford Lightning
One rusty car trailer

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I believe the MaxFlow is supposed to flow a bit more than the Aero but it is a little louder as well.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Make that a big bit!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Gotta love a post that starts out with Hooker Maxflows.....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hooker comp muff's are welded & black & drone like hell"But im just going to deal with mine for now"Must by Chrome for Harley!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just installed my 2 1/2" Hookers with the aerochamber mufflers this weekend. They are heavy, welded flow through design.

And a hell of alot quieter than my rusted out flowmaster. It's like night & day... I hate to admit but I do miss that FM drone.

dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts