Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the hooker headers? Are they good? Hows the quality? and what is the expected performance gain?

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Not sure of the quality and fit........

........but they're known to slow cars down.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? Slow them down? Hmmm wonder why?

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
The tubes are too big and there's alot of volume inside there with the extra piping.
Since turbos run on pressure and velocity, they extra area and larger runners pretty much kill both.
Stock headers are good to the 10's with not problems.
I'd thought about getting a set and seeing if they'd work on a bored out 4.1 with a huge cam, but that's alot of money for something that probally won't work.

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
earlbrown said:
The tubes are too big and there's alot of volume inside there with the extra pi
Since turbos run on pressure and velocity, they extra area and larger runners pretty much kill both.
Stock headers are good to the 10's with not problems.
I'd thought about getting a set and seeing if they'd work on a bored out 4.1 with a huge cam, but that's alot of money for something that probally won't work.
A common mistake made by Chebby/Ferd guy's too Earl. Too large a diameter tube for an engine that don't need it kills torque and bottom end.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I had them...killed the spool due to the too large tubes.

Okay for race cars with loose converters

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im running a TE62 with 65# injectors, .030 over 109, PTE 218/222 cam, TH400 w/3400 stall and im hoping to be in the 10s with this setup. I just dont know if its worth the cash to run the hookers or stick with stock?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Grand nati0nal said:
well im running a TE62 with 65# injectors, .030 over 109, PTE 218/222 cam, TH400 w/3400 stall and im hoping to be in the 10s with this setup. I just dont know if its worth the cash to run the hookers or stick with stock?
If you stock ones don't leak then they will be fine.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I had hookers on my stock longblock 87 T(on it when I bought it), they killed spoolup. I got 2.2X 60' times dead hooking since the car wouldn't build boost at the line(stock turbo and converter). I put stockers on, and dropped 5 tenths in the 60' with no other changes. Car trapped the same with both.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm maybe ill just use the stockers since they were just coated.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Hissin' Buford said:
A common mistake made by Chebby/Ferd guy's too Earl. Too large a diameter tube for an engine that don't need it kills torque and bottom end.

Don't forget about the motorcycle guys too......

(Both groups)

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
I thought I got a great deal on a set of Hooker Headers at a swap meet for $30. What a didn't know at the time... were all of the issues which are mentioned above. Slow spool, loss of bottem end...... They didn't even make it an entire summer on my car.

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
VinsGN said:
I thought I got a great deal on a set of Hooker Headers at a swap meet for $30. What a didn't know at the time... were all of the issues which are mentioned above. Slow spool, loss of bottem end...... They didn't even make it an entire summer on my car.
Vince - I'd be interested in trying them, if you still have them. Shoot me a pm with a price shipped to 48880.

Jeremy

·
Registered
835 Posts
NOCOOLER said:
Vince - I'd be interested in trying them, if you still have them. Shoot me a pm with a price shipped to 48880.

Jeremy
i would honestly stay away Jeremy, they aren't worth the trouble. (they are a PITA to install compared to any other header) and will probably kill spoolup.

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
JDSfastGN said:
i would honestly stay away Jeremy, they aren't worth the trouble. (they are a PITA to install compared to any other header) and will probably kill spoolup.
I've had them before on my hotair car - and they did suck, but if I can get a cheap pair - I'd like to see how they respond on a mid 11 sec car.

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
Get your stock ones weld/brace the weak ares then port em/match port and get them jet hot coated or equiv, and get the after market crossver and you be good to the tens and have more money in your pocket.
:6:

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
turbo nasty said:
Get your stock ones weld/brace the weak ares then port em/match port and get them jet hot coated or equiv, and get the after market crossver and you be good to the tens and have more money in your pocket.
:6:
If my stockers where fine - I'd be using them :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
in a race mode, they will probably work for you...streetwise...not so good :)

Try them and find out! :cheers:

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
NOCOOLER said:
I've had them before on my hotair car - and they did suck, but if I can get a cheap pair - I'd like to see how they respond on a mid 11 sec car.
Jeremy,

Way back in the early 90's my Dad bought a set of Hooker's for GN #1 and if I recall the car was normally in the mid to high 11.80's and after wards we were in the mid 11.70's.

If you get a set make sure they are either coated or wrapped to help keep heat in the tubes.

P.S. - I know you probably aren't going TSM racing but one of the faster TSM cars had a set in Bowling Green this year.

Good luck,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts