Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon! Just a quick heads up that there have been some major announcements regarding the JAVA plugin used on most Windows computers out there. There are some security flaws that are causing computers to be infected if your computer (ironically) has a newer version of JAVA installed.

How to tell…

(In Windows XP, go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, or on Windows Vista or 7, go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features, and find “JAVA” in the list). It could also be listed as “Sun Java” or “Oracle Java”.

Java versions are labeled as either “Java 6” or “Java 7” followed by an update number, for example, Java 6 Update 31. Any computers still running Java 6 are not susceptible to the recent flaws, however you should have the most recent version of Java 6 which is Update 35. IF YOU HAVE JAVA 6, DO NOT UPGRADE TO JAVA 7, DESPITE IT BEING THE “RECOMMENDED UPDATE”.

You can find Java 6 Update 35 here: Java Downloads for All Operating Systems Version 6 Update 35

If you have Java 7 (any update) , you should immediately update to the most recent version of Java 7, which is Java 7 Update 7. You can download that by simply going to java.com: Java + You and clicking the button to install the most recent version.

“Ok so why should I install Java 7 if you just told me not to??”
Java 7 is required for certain computers, for example computers with Windows 7 that are 64 bit. If you already have Java 7, update it. If you have Java 6…just update it to the most recent version of Java 6 (Java 6 Update 35)

Lastly, if you see any other versions of JAVA install on your home computer, it is safe and recommended to remove them. In some cases you may see multiple installations of old versions – this is normal - just remove everything JAVA except for Java 6 update 35 or Java 7 update 7.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Thanks Jeff,

Done.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Thanks Jeffy! I now have Java 7 with my firewall off and sending my ip address out like you told me! :D

·
Mad Scientist
494 Posts
Isn't that the stuff running through you veins that powers the wrench of the gods doc?

·
GN Old Timer
90 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I was at Java 6, Update 14. Now don't laugh cause I'm retired from the computer business and don't check for updates like I used to. I owe you a beer.:cheers:

Dennis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts