Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys another question for you,will it be ok to put higher octane gasoline on my 87 stock GN ?? if so to how high on the octane? unleaded right? let me know ty.:6: :cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, what do you mean by higher octane? 87-93 octane or do you mean a cam 2/racing gas with ratings of 97-108 octane?? Back in 1986/87 when these cars were new we would fill up our gas tanks with super unleaded and add a can of STP 100 octane booster and the car would run great but, I haven't done that since back then. We used to drive around with a case of STP octane booster in the trunk. Nowdays, I always run Sunoco 93 octane gas and it runs great. Now that you reminded me of the higher octane i may start throwing in a can of STP booster in it again....that's if they still sell it. As far as the cam 2 high octane gas, I think it would be a waste of money on a stock car with little benefit but, I wouldn't have a problem with running a higher octane between a 97 and 100 but, I wouldn't go any higher. Back in the 90's I had a 99 SS camaro and I put some 105 octane and blew out my O2 sensors....I was young and dumb so I didn't know better. The higher octane gas is meant for built motors running higher compression and/or high boost, so I doubt there is much benefit on a stock like motor....IMHO.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,ty you sure know more than me,i was just thinking that some higher octane gas would made some kind of diffrence

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I wanted to go with something higher than 93.
Are you talking pump gas? I run 94 pump. Comes down to if your car is knocking. Higher is usually always better because you'll have a factor of safety with it. Too much octane isn't beneficial.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No my car is not knocking i just thought like maybe 95 or 97 will be better.where do you get 94?,anyway my car is stock i was thinking higher octane would be better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
95 or 97 octane....in my opinion will be ok and probably make the car run crisper, i wouldn't go over a 100 octane IMO. It might be cheaper to get a can of octane booster to add to a full tank, like I said in my previous post I did this weekly for a couple years and the car ran great/strong. I'm gonna shop around for the STP brand 100 octane gas booster, I'll buy a case and keep it in my trunk like I use to do in the old days. Thanks for the reminder!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can run high octane.. I believe its the lead in the race fuels that kill o2 sensors, which ur not going to buy at the pump...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
glad the thread was a good reminder for you daredevil95,now i know that if i can get my hands into 95 or 97 octane at the pump it would be ok.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
How do you know you don't have knock? Are you using a scanner? I'm not a fan of octane boost, it coats the plugs and raises the octane very little. Your better off adding some race fuel and actually watching your fuel gauge go up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when he said knock i thought he meant knocking noise on the engine thats why i said no cause my engine works fine.

·
GN Old Timer
90 Posts
Higher octane unleaded gas allows you to make higher boost levels without engine knock. If your current set up does not include an aftermarket boost gauge, an adjustable wastegate on the turbo, and an aftermarket knock gauge or ScanMaster, then the answer is the higher octane will have no benefit.

Let me clarify ... if your car runs great now and you do nothing but add higher octane gas, then it will do nothing. Just a waste of money.

You didn't say what octane you're using now but don't go below 93.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts