Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend a company that sells a good "High Performance" coipack? All I seem to be able to find are stock GM replacements and I'm looking for something a little hotter.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Not needed... Many cars run 9's and 10's with stock coils.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I bought the one from Modern Musclecar now Ramchargers, I think it is listed on their site.

It works as good as the stocker which tested fine on my GN to over 5500 rpm with my Caspers tester.

Let's just say I didn't see any real improvement with it, but it has lasted over 2 years so far.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Guys have run 7s with the stockers and they last a long time...lot's of other things to blow money on that might actually either look cooler or maybe make you faster....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello,
We offer the High Output Coilpack; developed it about 3 years ago. The benefits are smoother idle, better acceleration and higher RPM power. Most people notice the idle improvement right away. This has been tested by numeruos clubs and organizations and they all came to the same finding, it does what we say. 15% high spark energy will make a difference in start-up, emmissions, and performance. Feel free to contact us for more information.

Hope this helps,
John @ ESP

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Just send John 10 bucks for his profit and stick with your regular pack.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Ooooo....you're a mean one,Mr. Grinch.In all honesty though,Steve's right.We've got a buddy of mine who bought the ESP coil pack and it made a very subtle difference.Steve's right,save the bucks for what's really wrong.Later if you want to play,then you can try the toys.
BTW,that ESP coilpack looks alot like an 85' coilpack I saw at Jack Cotton's.The only difference would be the mounting surface to the module.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Steve,

I don't understand, what exactly are you trying to say? Just come out and say it

Don't get me wrong, there are some ESP products that I like, their Intercoolers, I own two.

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
R.K.,

When you say that the ESP coilpack made a subtle difference on your buddies car, was it because his current coil pack was starting to break down?

Just curious,

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Some things are a waste of money and will do nothing for performance. The coil is not a weak link on the Turbo Regals. It has repeatedly been proven well into the 7s and has a long life.

I have seen the reviews. When does one see someone say something bad about the advertiser or freebies?

Anyone see the article on octane boosters in, I think, Car Craft...??

Wonderful stuff, gave one to three hp more, except in one case, where it made less.

All changes within the statistical error of the dyno but it "felt" better and is good stuff. What a joke.

You want a better idle, widen the plug gap, you want more power at 30 psi, close it down. Spend the money on something that will give you a better time.

RK, you might have a good eye.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since we're on the subject, do any of you out there use MSD's coil pack or adjustable timing gadget on your turbo Buicks? I was browsing through their catalog recently and was wondering if any of their products make a noticeable difference from the GM stock products.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The coils don't have a history of living very long in other applications.

The DIS 4 is a neat add on because of the rev limiters but no one has claimed any faster performance.

The GM ignition system is not a weak link.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The only weak link I see in our ignition systems are the plug wires. The factory one lasted a year if you were lucky. I use Taylor Pro 10.4mm wires. Been on for 4 years now and still perfect. As said before if you put on a new performance coil and runs better then your old coil was no good.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Some things are a waste of money and will do nothing for performance. The coil is not a weak link on the Turbo Regals. It has repeatedly been proven well into the 7s and has a long life.

I have seen the reviews. When does one see someone say something bad about the advertiser or freebies?

Anyone see the article on octane boosters in, I think, Car Craft...??

Wonderful stuff, gave one to three hp more, except in one case, where it made less.

All changes within the statistical error of the dyno but it "felt" better and is good stuff. What a joke.

You want a better idle, widen the plug gap, you want more power at 30 psi, close it down. Spend the money on something that will give you a better time.

RK, you might have a good eye.
You may be right Teve.I am a mack-anus for a living.You know what else?I looked over a Turbonetics .69 A/R exhaust housing and a Precision Exhaust housing[both "P" trim]at Cotton's.Other than the lack of a boss for the Delta gate on the Precision housing,guess what?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Who would have thunk it?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Who would have thunk it?
Not me until I saw a Turbonetics housing.Hmm,maybe a good topic for a thread?Turbo housings and how they work?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

(not suggesting that I know who imitated who because I don't)

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
No prizes for guessing who's been in the turbo business longer.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Garrett?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The founder of Turbonetics started as a street racer in Brooklyn,NY back in the early 60's. Maybe I beat him with my GTO

Who knows!!

------------------
ED BAKER
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

1 - 20 of 32 Posts