Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed twice recently where the car seems to hesitate or mildly lurch when taking my foot off the gas when coasting from 70MPH (say exiting a freeway offramp).

The car had this lurch midway through the "coast" to a stop sign. I had not reapplied the gas and it almost seemed to hang-up in a gear. Noticed a slight decrease in engine RPM and then back up.

Any ideas? :confused:

Dan

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I shall guess throttle cable/TPS or else tranny problem. :confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just picked up my ScanMaster 2 but have not installed yet so I cannot give you any readings.

Any idea what to look for on TPS readings? I just had the intake off to install powerplate and did not re-adjust TV cable. Could this be prob.?

Dan

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I think Salvage is right.
It sounds like the trans is hanging up on the down shift.
How old is it[how long last rebuild,if any]?
Do you have a trans cooler[other than stock]?
Might be time to drop the trans pan and change the fluid and filter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car has about 53,000 miles on it and I have not dropped the pan since I purchased it in Oct'02. nono

There is no aftermarket cooler.

Looks like I just figured out this weekend's project. :(

Thanks guys :D

Dan

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
A vacuum leak perhaps intermittant from the power plate install might be a problem as well increasing rpms when you aren't on the gas.

Does the car idle smoothly when warmed up?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the car idles nicely when warm. I'm going to do the fluid and filter change anyway since the car will see lots of track time this summer.

Hope it helps.

Dan

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Do yourself a favor and change the TCC solenoid + install a drain plug while the pan is down. At 53K, the TCC could be toast. Mine was. Left me nearly stranded 6 miles from home because it locked up and wouldn't unlock, thus killing the car everytime I dropped it in gear. Not a good feeling on a Saturday night. Mine started exhibiting symptoms like yours is currently about a year ago. I should have heeded the warning. The TCC to use is the one for 700-R4 transmissions with the included bolt shims. I can't remember the brand but it was a cheapie, somewhere around $26 at DiscountAutoParts. Rotrex maybe? Had black nose with tan o-ring.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice John. :D

Last thing I need is a six mile hike home on Saturday night for a $26.00 part. :mad:

Dan

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dan, I would also point in the direction of the TCC. Use the 700R4 solenoid as stated above. I like the drain plug idea too. Be sure the rubber grommet/O-Ring for the filter comes out when changing the filter with the new grommet.

Have fun :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Boo. :D

Dan

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Parts guy is asking what application (car make/model/drivetrain) for the 700-R4 solenoid. Also wondering why the switch from the standard one for a 200-R4? :confused:

Dan

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had the same symptoms...replaced with the 2004R solenoid...back to normal. :)

Yeah, I was woundering the same thing. Why replace with a 700R4?

Make sure you get all of the old washer/o-ring, which can work itself up into the hole. eek!

<small>[ April 09, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: CaPPY ]</small>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts