Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some direction or a website that can help me setup my 87GN. It has seen very little use in 3 years and I now want to play again. I’m showing timing retard in Scanmaster in the 10.0 to 15.0. I have good fuel, boost is down to 12, fuel pressure is at 60 WOT and chip is set for 20 timing with 93 octane. I have also run carbon cleaner through and still having problems. I have changed chips but it does not help. Injectors are new 50#, fuel filter is new, sock is new, and both pumps are working. I have replaced wires and plugs, which were slightly oily and fuel smell. Also the fuel smell with the car running is very bad. Any steps to work this through would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I am chasing problems myself but I would say:
Is the 12# boost correct?
May need to lower fuel, sounds like your to rich.
Put some 104 in and see if it goes away, if so, it may be octane related.
Have you gotten some bad gas?
You may need to consider alky.
Is it part throttle knock? If so, make sure EGR is working.
Is PVC correct & working?
Is something hitting causing false knock? DP hitting, bad motor mounts? Putting 104 in will help determine if it is real or false.
That's a start.

[This message has been edited by ES (edited April 27, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Gas is fresh.
2) No cat
3) Idle is slightly rough, acceleration is fine.
4) I will have to lower boost and try.

The smell is fuel. After driving the car or being around it with it running the smell on my clothing is horrible.

Here are some basics on the car. Turbo is TB0348, 50# injectors, adjustable reg, volt booster, heated 02, modified TA heads, stock intercooler, 2800 stall non-lockup convertor, auburn posi, exhaust is flowmaster, manual boost control, K&N with mass air pipe.
Thanks!
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
I guess, rather than worrying about retard at this point, you should first try to figure out why it smells so bad.

1. I understand it has fresh gas.
2. Does it have a cat on it?
3. Does it seem to idle okay and accelerate ok when you snap the throttle open?
4. Does it accelerate okay with no boost or only 5-6# of boost?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Since the plugs fire 'both ways' I find it's quicker and better to pull a plug wire at the coil pack to check spark. Pull it, and let it hang 2" from one of the 6 torex bolts that hold the tower (coil pack) down. Should see a nice, hot blue colored spark.

Wouldn't hurt to lower thr FP temporarily, just to see if you are getting rich knock.

You may very well have, in addition, gotten some bad gas. It happens to me a couple
times a year.

What plugs, and what gap?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
What chip and MAF system?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, weatherstripping is there. The smell is coming from exhaust.

Do you have the rubber weatherstripping along the top of the firewall to seal the hood area off from the cowl fresh air intake that feeds the car? Thinking about the smell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gas is ok.....this is happening with more than one tank. Plugs are AC-R42LTS, again these are TA heads.

Originally posted by Turbo_Tim:
Since the plugs fire 'both ways' I find it's quicker and better to pull a plug wire at the coil pack to check spark. Pull it, and let it hang 2" from one of the 6 torex bolts that hold the tower (coil pack) down. Should see a nice, hot blue colored spark.

Wouldn't hurt to lower thr FP temporarily, just to see if you are getting rich knock.

You may very well have, in addition, gotten some bad gas. It happens to me a couple
times a year.

What plugs, and what gap?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wires and plugs are new. Gap is 035. Can I check coil pack with meter or just replace?

You could have a bad coil pack or module.

Or a bad wire or cracked plug.

The smell out the tail pipe would make it sound rich...again, a bad cylinder could cause this. If it runs okay when not under boost, I would not think it was the maf....

Plugs sound a range cold to me. What gap are they? 032-035?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts