Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running out with my car tonight and I noticed a knocking sound from the engine on top more of a tap and the oil check light came on in the car. What would be the problem with this? :dunno: It was running great and know this happend I am weary about driving it around because of this. Could somebody please help me out with a diagnosis, thanks.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If it was tapping on top, it could be a lifter that had the bottom chewed off and is stuck in the bore while being slapped by the cam. This happens sometimes when a cam bearing is worn and not enuf oil gets splashed on the cam.

Another possibility would be in the cam sensor/oil pump drive, perhaps.

If not in the top, then it is probably in the lower end with a rod, or main bearing being the culprit.

No matter, what, if you start the car in this condition, you are sure to do even more damage. It's time to open it up and find out what broke. :(

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks steve, this really ticks me off, I live in New York and I am back on vacation in Michigan which is where I keep the car stored and I only drive it once a year for about 10 days and this happens when I come back home. Looks like it is going to be done until next year :( Is there something you can suggest to have done asap to find out what is wrong with the car having a mechanic looking at it, or should I not even drive it down the road :dunno:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Do not Drive this car, don't even start it until you have it diagnosed,

The check oil light comes on when oil pressure is lost. have you checked the oil level? the tapping you heard was most likley the oil pressure not pumping up the lifters.

if you are planning to have a mechanic look at it it must be towed or serious engine damage will result.

good luck

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
as above-such things really suck, and, the timing is always terrible :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts