Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal. Its my grand national with the standard 3.8 Turbo and I need some advice from people. I blew my headgaskets, and I rebuilt the motor got it bolted into the car and I was doing the wiring. Then I went to connect the negative battery cable to the battery and the engine cranks. It cranks with no one turning the key or anything. My dad (smittydawg) and I am at a loss. Any help would be huge. Thanks.

Brandon

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Check the connections on the starter. One of the larger wires is probably touching up against the smaller post.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Check your positive battery cable at the starter. You might have it touching one of the smaller posts on the solenoid. If so it will just crank as soon as you hook it up. I put the caspers longer positive battery cable on over the winter and when I went to hook up the battery the same thing happened to me :cheers: :6:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PhillyTurboSix said:
Check your positive battery cable at the starter. You might have it touching one of the smaller posts on the solenoid. If so it will just crank as soon as you hook it up. I put the caspers longer positive battery cable on over the winter and when I went to hook up the battery the same thing happened to me :cheers: :6:

I checked that and nothng is touching the smaller posts. This is why this is the strangest thing. I left the whole harness in the car when I pulled the motor, and just hooked everything up. Any other possiblities?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Could also be the starter or solenoid just happend to die while the motor was out. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
try banging the solenoid with a hammer and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
only two things, beyond what was already stated, can make it crank. Wired wrong, or bad solenoid.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My bet would still be the solenoid. When you tighten the wires up the terminal may turn on the inside of the solenoid causing a short. You may be able to turn the terminals a little and "cure" your problem until you get a chance to replace the solenoid.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
corsair231 said:
My bet would still be the solenoid. When you tighten the wires up the terminal may turn on the inside of the solenoid causing a short. You may be able to turn the terminals a little and "cure" your problem until you get a chance to replace the solenoid.

Is there a way I can test and see if the solonoid is bad?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Yeah, take the starter out of the car and hook it up on the bench. Ground the case and then apply 12v to one of the big posts. If it spins then there is a problem with the solenoid. The only time it should spin is if there is 12v on the big terminal AND 12v on the small post at the same time.

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
All the major parts houses test the starters for FREE

Auto Zone and Advance Auto for sure

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Buy a...

Ministarter, and lose about 20#.... :yup:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Sometimes all the wires can be confusing and perhaps get connected incorrectly. Check & then recheck proper wiring first,,,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts