Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spark solved, now boost hesitation then spike after 14 lbs.???

Ok I have a 1986 GN and the engine starts sputtering when boost gets up around 8 to 10 lbs, I was told by shop that it was the coil pack, so I go to replace it and notice that when I took off the coil, the ignition module had this real sticky goopy blue stuff worse than bubble gum giving me fits with my wires, anyhow I proceeded to swap out the coil since I don't know any better, car ran for a minute and quit at the bottom of my driveway :rant: now I have no spark.
Is my ignition module bad? Thanks! I appreciate everyone's time in advance, I'm a newby and trying to bring this car back to life. Hope one day I can return the favor and answer some questions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well after reading up a bit it looks like my module had over heated and that is why the potting material or whatever that stuff is was so melted and sticky. Any opinions on the best aftermarket option as far as box stores. Thanks again

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
Did you remove the ignition module when you changed the coil pack or did you just take the coil pack off the module when you replaced it? If you removed the module check and make sure you tightened the bolt in the electrical connector that plugs into the module. Check it to be sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just took off the coil from the top didn't remove module, the sticky blue filler stuff was like super thick syrup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I replaced the module and coil, no spark! Guess what....blown fuse, swapped it out and she fired right up! Test drive ...car flutters and boost spike after 10lbs of boost, change out old fuel filter and brought my fuel pressure up to 55 at idle, car now runs good up to 14 lbs but after that she boost spike or flutters/hesitate. I tried dialing down the boost control to 0 and work it up slowly through several runs, for some reason dialed all the way down it still getting 12 lbs boost, I have alky control with chip for it but don't want to use it till I knows things are right. My mods are 2800 stall, built transmission, shaved and ported heads, CTP60-1' turbo , 60lbs injectors , 340 Walbro hot wired, accufab pressure regulator, 3 in down pipe, turbonetics evolution waste gate, 212 212 cam, turbo tweak chip. I'm not sure how this stuff works ....I'm still learning...I just got the car from a ladie who got it out of a divorse, been sitting for at least a year. Even came with laptop that plugs in to car...no clue how to use it, just shows like a gauge cluster. I don't even know how fast this thing can get...can't get it past 12 to 14 lbs without choking...look forward to using the methanol one day. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Hired Wrench
125 Posts
Well I replaced the module and coil, no spark!

Where did you get the ign module? GM or aftermarket?

brought my fuel pressure up to 55 at idle,

Way too much fuel pressure. Try around 45 psi vac line off. That should be ballpark depending on which chip you have.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the ignition module came from AZ, unfortunately I didn't have the big bucks to buy one from dealer. I will reset the fuel pressure first thing back to 45, ...I noticed that after driving it a few miles and I come to an idle the car seems to idle up and down little, one guy mention MAF sensor, I really need to learn how to read these sensors! Also something not right with boost controller...cranked all the way down and it still runs up to 14lbs. Thanks for the feedback!

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
If you have a car with alcohol injection on it and it sounds like you do and the chip is for alcohol then do NOT be going into boost until you have the alcohol turned back on.

You need to get the laptop hooked up and giving you data so you know what the car is doing, it is there for a reason. We also need to know what program is on the laptop for reading the values from the car.

Start doing some reading at these two sites and then read them again!!

Turbo Regal Web Site - This is the original site for these cars from back in the mid 90s.

ALSO

Vortex Buicks

We will need to know what chip you are running, what alcohol kit etc. If you do not know then take pictures and post them so we can help you with your car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Twin, I spoke with the previous owner that had it before me...5 year ago....he told me the engine and trainy was built by Robert Stanley out of Greensboro,NC and that it had a tunable turbo tweak chip...he said there was something you can do with the gas peddle and ignition on to change something. I was able to hook up the lap top to the port.. The software is by turbo link....I noticed right off the bat the MAF was pegged in the red at idle, it's a stock MAF, I just ordered a LS1 MAF and need to find a Translator, preferably used since I'm limited on my spendages hehe..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm finally starting to understand all theses numbers, from what I think, once all sensors and ignition stuff is fully operational in my car and working correctly, my goal is to have zero nock under any gear at wide open throttle.... So I guess I just richin everything up and start from scratch....just lean it out as I go.....one question I have is where is a good starting point on the boost scale to tune into with providing my listed mods above? Does it make since to rich in everything up,then move my boost up till I see knock retard coming in, then fine tune from there...???

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Over 10 years ago I added alcohol injection to my car (won't be without it now). When I went to tune it I took a friend who held the scanner and watched for knock counts and knock retard. I started out at like 8#'s of boost (I have an external wastegate) and of course no knock, my friend wasn't too impressed with the car. I turned the boost up to 10#'s and made another pass, again no knock. I turned it up to 12#'s, and again no knock an now my friend started to think this little 6 was actually quick. I kept going while he watched the knock, no knock and turn it up a bit. It isn't a fast process, but it keeps you from breaking stuff. Also when I finished turning the boost up (I stopped at 20#'s) my friend was very impressed with my car, I never did get any detonation, I kept it conservative since I wasn't racing, just learning about alcohol injection at the time.

In other words start off with low boost (alcohol on if you are running an alcohol chip) and start monitoring your readings and turn the boost up a bit at a time. It is worth the time to do it right. :yup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great suggestion Twin, I can't go wrong starting low and working my way up on boost. Since I have purchased this car I have replaced wires, plugs, module, coil PAC, Maf, and now with my boost turned all the way down I'm still getting 12lbs! Arrrggh I guess next is a BC. One of these days I'm going to drive this car! Lol I already know the alky pump is jacked up since the car sat for a long time. I think I'm going to have to get a second job hehe...

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Great suggestion Twin, I can't go wrong starting low and working my way up on boost. Since I have purchased this car I have replaced wires, plugs, module, coil PAC, Maf, and now with my boost turned all the way down I'm still getting 12lbs! Arrrggh I guess next is a BC. One of these days I'm going to drive this car! Lol I already know the alky pump is jacked up since the car sat for a long time. I think I'm going to have to get a second job hehe...
I don't think you need a boost controller. My car, I could turn the boost down to 8#'s since I had an external wastegate. If you are running a stock wastegate, and it sounds like you are then 12 is probably as low as it will go.

Is your alcohol kit an SMC progressive kit or an Alky Control progressive kit?

Good luck,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Sir I have a "ALKY Control" kit on the car. It also has a Evolution waste gate, I had several vacuum leaks, wondering if that had anything to do with it, I'm glad to hear that you still had boost with the BC turned down, I'm learning new stuff everyday, couple days I will be home from work and can continue to work on this car, can't wait but at least it's giving me time to study the Scanmaster and all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts