Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble at cretain boost or mabye its at a certain part of the throttle.At 5-8 psi the car will start to cut out and buck and i can see the boost gauge surging everywhere,let off its fine give it more gas great no knock its almost like its pushing too much boost and the throttle blade is not letting it in and its kicking back out.

te44 p/p stock heads thdp pte front mount msd50's 206 billet roller 340 hotwired T+ and extender.

Anyone?

[This message has been edited by Gnash86 (edited May 18, 2002).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I would think you would need to post a combo. to get responses to this type of problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by Gnash86:
Having trouble at cretain boost or mabye its at a certain part of the throttle.At 5-8 psi the car will start to cut out and buck and i can see the boost gauge surging everywhere,let off its fine give it more gas great no knock its almost like its pushing too much boost and the throttle blade is not letting it in and its kicking back out.

Sounds like compressor surge. That is pretty common with a large intercooler and upgraded turbo.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If it is doing it under light acceleration, and you have a front mount and larger turbo...I think Jeff has probably won the prize.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car does exactly this stock. What can I do about compressor surge?

I noticed some black oil coating my intercooler pipes going into the intake. My friend suggested that the turbo might be leaking slightly, but the whole tube was coated in black oil - as was the intake housing where the pipe comes out of the intercooler into the intake. Would this cause a hesitation or is it a sign of something dangerous? I dont know much about these turbo GN's yet - just bought mine 100% original with 12K miles on it.
Sucker hauls, but idles like crap, and pops off idle with this hesitation-thing you all say might be compressor?

Help! what do i do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by jayster:
My car does exactly this stock. What can I do about compressor surge?

I noticed some black oil coating my intercooler pipes going into the intake. My friend suggested that the turbo might be leaking slightly, but the whole tube was coated in black oil - as was the intake housing where the pipe comes out of the intercooler into the intake. Would this cause a hesitation or is it a sign of something dangerous? I dont know much about these turbo GN's yet - just bought mine 100% original with 12K miles on it.
Sucker hauls, but idles like crap, and pops off idle with this hesitation-thing you all say might be compressor?

Help! what do i do?
Jayster,
Your off idle stumble is not compressor surge. Your car probably just needs a "spring cleaning". Go to http://205.147.64.51/maint/basics.html

The oil is probably from the breather on the passanger side valve cover. With the low mileage your car has, the turbo should be okay.

Hope that helps.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts