Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 Gn that I recently acquired. While I'm familiar with hot-rods, these GN's are a new venture for me. Here's my problem. When I first start the car, it cranks and runs fine while in cold start mode. But as soon as it come out of the warm-up mode, the car will idle down and start bellowing out smoke (as if it is extremely rich) and then the car will die. If I sit in the car and give it a little throttle it will remain running. I borrowed a friends Scan tool, but didn't come up with any codes (I may not have been using it correctly). I have set the TPS sensor to the specs from the gnttype site. Someone mentioned it may be the oxygen sensor??? Any suggestions? dunno

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
With a scantool such as a scanmaster I would make sure after warmup the ECM is seeing a temp. of 160-180 degrees from the temp. sender.

If it isn't maybe it thinks it's still cold and is in warmup fueling or something.

Could be the O2 sensor as well.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/faq/IACresetscan.html

Of course without a scan tool you are flying blind. Try turning the air bleed screw in and out a turn, or two, keeping track of the original setting. If that corrects your problem, set the tps again.

You really need a scantool. Scanmaster is ok.. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts