Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that if I run one of these I can use leaded gas and not hurt anything? Is this true?

I thought leaded gas left deposits on valves and other nasties like that.

If I run the stock O2 sensor with leaded gas can I take it out and swoosh it around in xylene to clean it off?

·
Registered
140 Posts
no, leaded gas will foul a heated 02 also....maybe just not quite as fast...if you are running a CAT, leaded fuel will ruin that also

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cat...just a test pipe. Any way to clean an o2 sensor? What about lead deposits in other places in the engine?
What is the average life expectance of an O2 sensor if I run leaded gas?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Lead leaves deposits on plugs and valves. If you are not running it all the time, this is probably not a major concern.

heated sensors may last longer, particularly if you turn the key on a minute before starting the engine in order to allow the sensor to get hot before exhaust starts blowing by it. Heated sensors don't seem to code like the original sensors but they lose range and gas mileage may deteriorate even tho you don't have a check engine light.

Life varies...some people get by with many tanks of race fuel thru them and others don't get much more than life than the normal ones. Not really practical to clean them in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts