Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a stock turbo and injectors Walbro- hot wired, THDP, CAV-4 at 22psi on 110. Should my next step be Champion heads or a TA49 and MSD 50s?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Get the 49, and the MSD 50s! Go ahead and get some Nittos, and a line lock. If you don't get into the 12's with that, I will kiss your a$$ in Macy's window!

(OK, J/K about Macys) ugh

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Personally, I am by-passing the "turbo first" mentality and getting heads & a cam.

Fundamentally, these engines suck as engines. Go and disconnect your WG and see how it feels. moon Get it to pump air better and the gains will show themselves, rather than craming more air into the tiny ports, and hoping it is all scavanged out the exhaust port.

I live in disgust of the inefficiency of the LC2... so I am going to fix it my way.

(excuse the poor spelling, running on 3 hours sleep.)

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
You readin' the Jegs catalog Chevy pages again? wink

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yeah, Salvage, you tell him! The fact that stock short blocks and heads have run into the tens is immaterial! Let's build us a sbc with a big cam that takes a 4000 rpm converter to roll away from the stop light!

Oh, well, it will give us a year's worth of posting about "why my car runs 12s" to laugh about! :D :D

"Dare to be Different" will look good on the doors...Maybe Turbo Tim will sponsor you! dunno

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Actually mine was a joke. wink

Not a totally bad idea if you intend to go fast and change the other stuff later anyway. Like within weeks. :D

I have no intention of breaking that magic GM seal, well not voluntarily anyway. eek!

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Steve Wood:
Yeah, Salvage, you tell him! The fact that stock short blocks and heads have run into the tens is immaterial! Let's build us a sbc with a big cam that takes a 4000 rpm converter to roll away from the stop light!

Oh, well, it will give us a year's worth of posting about "why my car runs 12s" to laugh about! :D :D

"Dare to be Different" will look good on the doors...Maybe Turbo Tim will sponsor you! dunno
Har Har!, Mr. SoftWood and SalivaV8...

Guys, I am looking to improve this engine's "off boost" power potential. Remember this ISN'T a drag car. Auto-X, Road Racing, Open Road Racing, and Tarmac Rallys are in this car's future. Ever mashed your "go pedal" in a right hand turn? eek! Boost is bad for corners, it over does takes the suspension and tires. It is a different kind of weight transfer... and I'll need a different tune of the power plant.

However, if the idea here is for yet another "Recipe Sheep", then get a 44 and some 50# injectors. :rolleyes:

Break out the shears,

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Hes right about the motor itself sucking.My crossover pipe opened up one day,and on the drive home I had zero boost.Got my a$$ handed to me by a Hundai Sonata.We left the light together and he just drove away.Without that turbo its just another v6 regal.If you make the motor more efficient then you wont need as much boost to go fast. wink

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
mOtOrHeAd MiKe:
Personally, I am by-passing the "turbo first" mentality and getting heads & a cam.
MHM,

Years ago before there was a large selection of turbo's available to us, (stage 2 turbo or 60-1) this is how many of the guys went quick. A stage 2 turbo was basiclly a stock turbo with a .83 exhaust housing on it. It was a little doggy on the bottom but a little better on the top but it worked O.K. with a set of ported heads.

Good luck,

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nobody has mentioned to the original poster that he needs injectors no matter what. You can get by with the stock turbo, but ported heads and stock injectors equals blown HG

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
teamgn87:
Hes right about the motor itself sucking.My crossover pipe opened up one day,and on the drive home I had zero boost.Got my a$$ handed to me by a Hundai Sonata.We left the light together and he just drove away.Without that turbo its just another v6 regal.If you make the motor more efficient then you wont need as much boost to go fast. wink
First you have engine problems if a Sonata put it on you. :D

Secondly, These are 231 cubic engines with fairly large valves. It actually runs quite well considering that it is pulling a 3700# car around. Adding a larger cam and porting the heads will actually take more of the torque away and make it even doggier out of the corners. The power will be greater at higher rpms but, we are using an automatic tranny, remember? You are not going to be snatching lower gears to make up for your lack of torque on the AutoX or road course.

As far as the boost coming on too quickly. That is what your right foot is used for. If you cannot do that, then find someone to burn you a chip with altered solenoid duty cycle to save yourself from your own ineptitudes. :)

The beauty of the turbo is that one has a very flat torque curve which should make the car easier to drive. Adding heads and a cam starts to put a hump in the curve and makes it harder to control torque at very low rpm which is what is required at AutoX, etc.

Nothing wrong with experimentation, tho. :) I would suggest that you go to a minimum of 9-1 cr in order to try to recover what you gave up when you moved up with the cam.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Steve Wood

The power will be greater at higher rpms but, we are using an automatic tranny, remember? You are not going to be snatching lower gears to make up for your lack of torque on the AutoX or road course.
[/QB]
Hey Steve,

Not trying to speak for MotorHead Mike, but I believe that he is planning on running a 5 speed manual transmission in this car. There was some discussion on this late last year.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Sounds like he needs a high compression N/A Busch North motor to mate up with that thing. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
GUYS...the reason the engine seems so weak without boost is because it is designed to be used WITH boost. What's the compression ratio? 8.5:1? Take a top fuel car, nix the blower and guess what? It'll suck. It's all about the initial design.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
TWIN86GNS:
Steve Wood

The power will be greater at higher rpms but, we are using an automatic tranny, remember? You are not going to be snatching lower gears to make up for your lack of torque on the AutoX or road course.
Hey Steve,

Not trying to speak for MotorHead Mike, but I believe that he is planning on running a 5 speed manual transmission in this car. There was some discussion on this late last year.[/QB]
Has someone found a five speed that can be adapted to the car and has decent torque capability?

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
I know a guy who put a Doug Nash 5-speed in his 87GN.A whole lot of work and very expensive.Not really worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts