Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news! Adding a couple of relays and some larger wire for the headlights worked, similar to the fan deal. Gained .94 volts. Doesn’t sound like much but apply this old rule of thumb - a 10% voltage reduction equates to a 30% decrease in illumination. Mathematically, the voltage increase yields a 21.3% brightness increase. A light meter would have given the true increase but I did not have one.

As a comparison we turned the lights of my son’s GN and mine on at the same time and the difference was very noticeable. Considering the lousy wiring GN used for the lights I’m almost amazed it worked at all. Also, the results could possibly differ from car to car depending on the condition of the existing wiring and system.

Only did the mods behind the driver’s side light. The remainder of the wiring was untouched. Added one relay and larger wire from a terminal block for the low beams and did the same for the high beams. Not much to it but works just the same.

My wife asked me if increasing the brightness like that was illegal. Wait until she sees what happens when the volt booster kicks in, hahaha.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Try converting to Hella lamps with H4 bulbs if you want to see bright.

Now that you have them hotwired it would be easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll email a copy of the parallel relay diagram for the fan to anyone who may want to look at it. The same principle applies for the lights except you use one relay for the highs and one relay for the lows. Look at the wiring diagrams in the shop manuals and select the green and tan headlight power wires. It should be fairly easy to figure out but if you hit a snag, maybe I can make a quick diagram for the lights too. The fan diagram is in Visio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts