Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
u purists will hate me but here goes.
so i decided that my stock sealed beams just werent cutting it anymore considering the amount of driving i do at night especially on dark country roads so i decided to change my housing to the ones that would accept an H4 bulb that i could replace or upgrade instead of having to change the whole light. my intention in doing this was to eventually get an HID kit in these new housings which should just be a plug and play kit.

165mm H4656 H4 EURO CONVERSION HEADLIGHTS on eBay.ca (item 230154656424 end time 03-Nov-10 02:09:16 EDT) these are the housings i got...

now this is where the fun begins. after installing the new housing i noticed that when i turn on my headlight, my highbeams also come on but they are dim, when i hit the the highbeams, they turn bright but then the healdights dim?!?! this never happened before and i didnt do anything to the wiring. decided to try putting the hid's in and there just isnt enough power to light them both up. if unplug one side the other will work find and the highbeams will get really dim (just a glow).
i think the problem is that the housing i got have hi/low beam but should be only a low beam bulb but whats throwing me off is that the HID kit i got is just a single low beam which means they should just plug in and not interfere with the highbeams.. i tried unplugging the highbeams altogether and then nothing works at all they are some how all connected pleae help i cant drive around with one headlight and i refuse to put the stock sealed beams back in!

this is the same as the HID kit i got.. not this exact one but pretty much the same thing HID XENON Ultra SLIM BALLAST KIT H1 H7 H3 H4 D2R 6000K on eBay.ca (item 320579011954 end time 19-Oct-10 22:44:45 EDT)

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you!!!!!!!

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok now that inactually read the whole link it looks like ky options are tO buy a harness adapter or just pull the wires frim the stock plug and rearrange them. I would rather go with the second option and just make a little pigtail harness of my own but im still lost as to what wiresmgo where. Theres onpy three so i kno its not rocket science but i dont get please explain if u know about this

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Never done it but it looks to be completely described in post #4
from the rear:
9 o'clock - black wire
12 o'clock tan wire
3 o'clock green wire
?

·
blank
2,898 Posts
I want to see the beam pattern when you are done.
May do this myself.

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds pretty simple i had a feeling my answer was in that link i just didnt understand it, tommoro i will have a chance to actually see what position my wires are in and then re-arrange them as listed above/in the link. i will definately throw up a few pics once its done.. if this fixes my problem like it should then i can assure you the final product will be great i see more light with my one HID than i did with both sealed beams and IMO it doesn't look ricer, fog lights look ricer

·
blank
2,898 Posts
I'm a little concerned that some aftermarket units might not control the beam sufficiently to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Make sure you feel the wires to satisfy yourself they can handle the additional current draw of an H4. 35 vs ~60 Watts I believe?

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i tried screwing around with this yesterday and the shitty made in china HID kit only has 2 prongs on the back as opposed to 3 like the H4 bulb..
i tried every possible configuration of the wiring to get these lights to work and i couldnt.. i ran a ground to the right terminal and played with which power wire to use.. i tried both power wires i tried everything..
i think i need some type of relay or harness adapters or something cuz it just wont work unless im doing something terribly wrong.. i even tried taking power right from the bat and ground from bat and nothing worked but when i plug it in normally it works but with dim highbeams.

anybody actually installed an HID kit before that didnt come with relays or wiring??

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
I did exactly what you did.- Replaced my sealed beams with euro h4 headlights. I then added a hid conversion in 8000k (light blue). There is no relay or harness on my kit. Just 2 wires that I tapped into the factory plug. I did not use a bi-xenon kit so there is no high beam in those lights. Im not sure what yours are doing but it seems like there is a wiring issue.

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was thinking of gettin those too but 30 just for shipping ouch..
did ya get it figured out??[/Q

nope, still driving around with one light and i really dont wanna go back to the h4 bulbs or stock set-up but i dont know what i should do at this point..:confused::dunno:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Go with Sylvania SilverStars (outboard hi/low beams only necessary) & sell new Chinese "stuff" (EBay recycle...).

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Go with Sylvania SilverStars (outboard hi/low beams only necessary) & sell new Chinese "stuff" (EBay recycle...).
Don't they have a reputation for burning out quickly?

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Yes they do. Besides, hids look 10 times better

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i still do not have the lights working properly.. i would not htink it is a wiring issue since everything worked fine with the stock set-up and i haven't melted or burned up any wiring... teamgn87 you got any pics of what your HID kit looked like.. how many wires it had in/out of the ballasts etc.. pic of the plug.. anything?? im really stuck here... any guys in the GTA wanna take a look at it?!?!?

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Don't they have a reputation for burning out quickly?
Well, I can only speak for my own 3 yr experience w/ them & NO problemlo...

Those reporting "burnouts" reputation have any specific personal experience??--or just

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
The Silverstars I put in my truck burned out in about 6 months. The ones I installed in my Mothers car have been going for about a year now but they have yellowed and dimmed a little (but all halogen bulbs are like that). I will never buy them again thats for sure.

gnkidd: My ballasts have 4 wires, 2 for power going in and they are attached to my low beam plug and 2 for outgoing power which go to the bulbs. You need to separate the wires on your plug. Use the low beam wire only to trigger the lights (I believe its the brown one) and attach the ground to the black one. Try it out and get back to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the silverstars are a bit pricey, but i've had mine in for 2 plus years, and have them on all the time when I drive...no issues yet..and I only did the low beams, regular halogens for the highs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts