Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sick Sick Six
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Today in South Florida it was raining (as it usually is this time of year) so I put on my headlights during the day. Oooops...I left them on TWICE! I do not have a "headlight on" chime, or at least not one that works. Are these cars supposed to have them? Are they equipped for them? Where? And where can I get one without paying through the nose (this question based on a YES response to question 2)?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Maybe on a limited but I don't think it was available on the GN. I have it as part of my after-market alarm. Look in your alarm book and maybe you have optional wiring for it as mine did.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Yes these cars have a buzzer from the factory. That was the first mod I did to my car years ago.....

....it took me forever to find that damn thing and rip it out!

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
earlbrown said:
Yes these cars have a buzzer from the factory. That was the first mod I did to my car years ago.....

....it took me forever to find that damn thing and rip it out!

it has been so long since I turned them on without key in ignition...I know their is a chime if you leave keys in and open the door..but cannot remember if it worked with the lights too...Eric should know or someone can go utside and try it

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Yes, my 84 GN has a chime

It's under the dash somewhere, my still works but it's very faint.....
Chuck

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
chime module or convenience center

I put a new one in my T a few months ago...damn, are the new ones loud!

goes off for door open/key in the ignition, headlights on, and seat belts...

I think all cars have the required wiring for all functions, but, some of the cars did not have the module that provided all functions.

If your seatbelt light keeps coming on and off, this is the problem as well.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
think I spent about 45$ six months ago...ask Eric if they are still around :)

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Frank is correct as always! :) GM still sells the box..

GM PART # 25524794
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
OUR PRICE: $35.55

The module is the size of a pack of smokes. It's right behind where your rear defog switch on the dash is. The only problem is you have to get it from under the dash. Get a light and you'll see it up there. There is a plastic clip to pop and it comes right out. A long skinny thin flathead screwdriver will be your best friend! The new one will just snap and clip right in. Search around on the boards I've posted a million times on that chime box. :6:

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
T63 is the RPO code for the Headlamps On Warning Chime.

You can easily make and install your own using a readily available Radio Shack 12 volt buzzer wired as follows.

One lead of the buzzer to the LPS socket in the fuse panel and the other end of the buzzer into the IGN socket of the fuse panel.

Normally both will have power when the lights and IGN are on, or neither will have power when the lights are off and IGN are off.

Or the IGN will have power and the lights will be open cir. when off.

However if the lights are left ON, and the IGN is turned off the IGN switch will provide a low current ground that will sound the buzzer until you shut the light switch off.

Easier to install than going after the factory chime box most likely.

I believe dealers via GM also have a kit at the parts desk that is a universal install as well for headlamp on warning chime.

Radio Shack number is 273-55 for the buzzer at $3.29, or else you can use an annoying high pitched piezo beeper as long as it has a built in driver circuit and works on 12 volts DC.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Yep. RPO T63. Optional on every model of Regal. Looking through my data base of SPID labels and I can not find one GN that does not have it. Found a couple of turbo Regals with out the W02 black out package that didn't have it though. That accessory number Salvage was talking about is GM part#999373. Its a plug and play down on that circuit at the fuse box. Its not as loud as the real thing if that makes a difference. I've got the same chime on my Rivieras and every single one of them is loud and clear. And they are the original ones. I get these for nothing down at the boneyard. The same thing is used on the 86-89 Park Ave. About 10 of those 7mm headed screws hold the dash pad on. Five minutes is all you need to pull the dash pad and it is sitting there right in front above the glove box area. It must be the location or something on the Regal that makes these things crap out.

The 86-88 vintage Olds Regency's had an optional voice reminder package. If I ever find one sitting in the boneyard I'm going to try and wire it up. Its supposed to have battery,eng temp,coolant level and oil pressure warnings in addition to the lights and key warnings.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
My WE4 didn't have the chime for the headlights and has Twilight Sentinel.

My GN has the chime and also has Twilight Sentinel.

Must be a different number for the chime box most likely? :dunno:

I was going to try to find a new chime box for the GN since it sounds very sick at times and the light for the seat belts comes on whenever.

Give me a chance to see what's in them too. :cool:

The Radio Shack buzzer I added in the WE4 actually works better. :)

PS: If you do the buzzer add on, put the black or negative buzzer lead into the IGN terminal and the positive or red lead off it into the LPS terminal. :)

·
Sick Sick Six
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
salvageV6 said:
T63 is the RPO code for the Headlamps On Warning Chime.

You can easily make and install your own using a readily available Radio Shack 12 volt buzzer wired as follows.

One lead of the buzzer to the LPS socket in the fuse panel and the other end of the buzzer into the IGN socket of the fuse panel.

Normally both will have power when the lights and IGN are on, or neither will have power when the lights are off and IGN are off.

Or the IGN will have power and the lights will be open cir. when off.

However if the lights are left ON, and the IGN is turned off the IGN switch will provide a low current ground that will sound the buzzer until you shut the light switch off.

Easier to install than going after the factory chime box most likely.

I believe dealers via GM also have a kit at the parts desk that is a universal install as well for headlamp on warning chime.

Radio Shack number is 273-55 for the buzzer at $3.29, or else you can use an annoying high pitched piezo beeper as long as it has a built in driver circuit and works on 12 volts DC.
So this is ONLY the hedlight chime? I do not want the seatbelt reminder.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was wondering the same thing! I've left my keys in there about 5 times now (good thing it's only been when it was in my garage) and the headlights on...maybe once.I figured mine was just not working.

-Adam

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
The one chime box does it all. Seat belts and headlights. I think the key in is on there too. But it's only one box for it all.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Don't forget the horn relay and the kitchen sink are in that box too. :crazy:

Convenience center it's called. :cool:

My circuit as shown below will only buzz if the headlights are left on and the key is turned off.

Uses the LPS socket and the IGN 1 socket and the square thing with the round circles is the radio shack buzzer, very easy to wire up. :)

My WE4 doesn't have the T63 option listed, hence no warning chime.

GN has it listed in the codes.

As stated previously by Eric it was optional on all Regals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts