Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Think I've got Norbs beat on this one. Blew both sides to sh!t. Appears the culprit was a faulty crank sensor. Nothing better than working in a shop with an electric overhead hoist and air conditioning.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well done! How did the crank sensor cause that?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. They're not supposed to look like that, are they? Did you blow out #3 and #4 or is that someone elses carnage?
Blew the two middle cylinders.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done! How did the crank sensor cause that?
I was discussing it with Norbs...and our thot is because the crank sensor was bouncing around...that the timing shot to the moon. Erics chip was on the default setting...so other than the alky shutting off...then I'm at a loss to explain anything else. I started off the year with a new Racetronix fuel hangar and pump as well.

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Those gaskets won;t take the abuse as cometics......time to upgrade to a fast with a JS knock box and you can put your foot into it with knock and not hurt a thing....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That my friend is not a crank sensor issue, if it was bouncing around you would have a had a very tough time starting it, if it would start at all. You made a pass before the carnage so that kinda rules that out imo. A couple things to check for:

-Check your harmonic balancer and make sure that the reluctor wheel hasn't moved
-test your alky pump by flowing it into a bucket
-check your grounds on the car
-probe the wires going to your cam sensor (verify its doing what its supposed to)
-have a look at your wastegate and make sure its functioning properly
-I would say check all your vaccum lines, but the motor is already out of the car.
-check your connections going to your fuel pump and alky pump

Almost looks as though you popped a vaccum line off and it over boosted, or your alky never turned on. I am assuming your running 20 psi.......... Can't see timing doing that at that level so early into the pass. Keep probing, something else caused that, I can assure you of that.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Headgasket

Please post a pic of the crank sensor, for further investigation.
Norbs it is the original one form 87 with the metal case around it.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys...always appreciated.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Is there a rev limiter on your chip? ECM cuts fuel alky still sprays you know the rest.

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
It looks like you're drowning that thing in fuel. Lots of carbon build up.

I think you're running more boost than you think. :wink:

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It looks like you're drowning that thing in fuel. Lots of carbon build up.

I think you're running more boost than you think. :wink:
Drowning in fuel...no. Spark plugs are normal...and the wastegate hole has been opened up. Boost is rock steady at 20 PSI. Thanks for your input tho.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there a rev limiter on your chip? ECM cuts fuel alky still sprays you know the rest.
I have a shift lite to let me know what's going on.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want to see if the bracket is bent, if not its some other issue, what did the wideband say?
The bracket that the sensor sits in is fine. Da' Bum don't need no stinkin' WB.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heads are back from the shop: Magnafluxed...pressure tested...and a minimal skim to straighten 'em up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts