Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 gn with cracked drivers side header. The car is stock, everyone seems to sell the same replacement header. Is there any brand that is better than the other. Or would it be better to replace both like the ones poston sell?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Screw a replacement header, bolt the one you have to a junk head and weld it, go slowly and add a gusset between the 3-5 cylinder primaries. Go slowly and bolt it to a head until it is cool to the touch, if you don't it'll warp like crazy.

Stock headers are the best...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but i don't have a junk head and don't no a welder in this area that's worth a damn. And i can't afford to have the car down, while the welder thinks about weather or not he will do my project today or next month. So out of the after market headers what one do you guys think is the best?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by new to turbo six:
Thanks for the reply, but i don't have a junk head and don't no a welder in this area that's worth a damn. And i can't afford to have the car down, while the welder thinks about weather or not he will do my project today or next month.
Why don't you telephone Buick vendors about a replacement header? One of them is likely to have a properly repaired one on the shelf and would be willing to ship it to you on an exchange basis since you can't afford any downtime. A stock replacement is by far the least expensive route.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Poston headers are good headers! Ex fit" Had mine 3 years & still no problems.

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis---
2001 Ultra Harley Davidson
93 1500 Cheby PU
72 Cheby 4x4
97 1100 ACE
86GN,
Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & intake' Jay's 62mm T/body & upper' 979springs" Weber 206 206 hyd cam" Manly SS valves, Steel center mains' PTE 51 Turbo, THDP" Postons headers, Hooker comp. mufflers' T.C. Orange stripe conv. SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, JL Chips" V4 IC' LT1 MAF & Translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts