Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just want to confirm that it is best to repair stock headers rather than getting after market ones unless i was well into tens which wont be happening for a looooong time correct?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think that there may be some very small gain.
unnoticably small,unless you are really fast, but definately not worth the money.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone ever have a tiny crack underneath the flange area where the header connects to the crossover pipe? (drivers side of course). appears that i might have a slight crack there as well. :( whats funny too is my DS header has been fixed before but theres another hairline crack on the side of the weld...sucks there isnt a better set of non power robbing headers out there that stand up to heat better. or is there?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Maybe the welder didn't prep the headers before welding. Try and get them done by someone who works on these cars. Call Nick Micale, I'm sure he knows someone in your area.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what all is entailed when you prep the header? anyone know? do you have to heat it up first or what?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
They are low grade stainless and need a little more care to weld. You should also bolt them to an old head so they don't loose shape with the heat.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If I were you I'd call or email Nick Micale of ArizonaGN like Ed mentioned because he does repair headers and he is in your area so he should be able to help you or give you some info on how to properly prep and fix your headers....

http://www.arizonagn.com/Headers.htm

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: 86brick ]</small>

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
I know that I am going to catch some hell over this but when our car was running a best of 11.89 we put a set of Hooker Headers on and our best time dropped to 11.74 and we gained about 1.5 mph in the quarter. At that time we were running a "Stage 2" turbo (virtually a stock turbo with a .82 exhaust housing). We did notice that our O2 sensors didn't seem to last as long until we wrapped the headers with header wrap.

Fire suit on. canada

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
TWIN86GNS:
I know that I am going to catch some hell over this but when our car was running a best of 11.89 we put a set of Hooker Headers on and our best time dropped to 11.74 and we gained about 1.5 mph in the quarter. At that time we were running a "Stage 2" turbo (virtually a stock turbo with a .82 exhaust housing). We did notice that our O2 sensors didn't seem to last as long until we wrapped the headers with header wrap.

Fire suit on. canada
Nothing wrong with sharing your experience so nobody should give you any hell.... I've heard good and bad about the Hooker headers (some say they will slow you down if you don't have at least a low 11 high 10 second car and others say they won't).... My brother put a set of Poston's headers and crossover on his high to mid 11 second car and didn't notice any gains but he did mention there seemed to be better throttle response and spool up dunno

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Just to clarify I am not advocating Hooker Headers for our cars because of the price and the amount of work that is required to install them. There are a lot cheaper and easier ways to gain 1.5 tenths.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had hookers on my car when I bought it. I don't know if there are two different styles (early and late), but the ones on my car couldn't have possibly made anyone faster on any level.
Both sides went down and met (ran into each other) by the flywheel, then there was a tee that came back up to the turbo. That is the worst design I can imagine.
Plus they cracked at almost every weld, and leaked at every connection.
the best thing I ever did for my car was put the stockers back on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anyone know what a set of re-conditioned stock headers go for? I tried Nick all day here plus left a message and no response...where else can i get a set?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Coming out of the closet Hooker user too..... I got tired of fixing my stock headers every 6 months. I got a set of Hooker header back in 1995. This is before they got the bulletin board curse. At that time I had Bluetops and a T49 and running 12.0'[email protected] When I installed the Hookers I picked up 2mph but my ET stayed the same due to little new lag. After hours of fine tuning I reached [email protected] and that was it until I wanted more speed and ripped the motor apart like an idiot and installed a "Budget" Rollercam. that's another novel. I had to weld one tube over the summer. So they went 8 years maintenance free. I would not recommend Hookers unless you are deep into to 11's I would love to see back to back runs on a 11.0 car between stock and Hookers. Maybe I will try it next season and open a big can of worms.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well Ed as always i appreciate your advice. I will try and go for the stock headers. If i cant get a good deal however, i guess ill have to opt for the Hookers and hope they last and deal with the little bit of lag. i know people frown upon this but hey, somtimes you gotta do what you gotta do right? lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts