Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MS90508. Just double checking to see if this header gasket will work. When I pulled off my header to have it repaired there was no gasket even installed.

After listening to the guy at the parts counter swear up and down they didn't carry header gaskets for a 3.8 turbo I went in the back and found these.

They say there just for a 231 buick v6. Are these the same as the turbo gaskets? Or will they work?

Theres also a metal side and a cardboard looking side. I'm also guessing the metal side goes twords the block?

Thanks all! :cheers:

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
Those will fall apart!

If your headers aren't warped - don't use gaskets, if they are order some felpro 1400's

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it didn't have gaskets before so I'll try it W/O.

Thanks!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Use Felpro 1400 gaskets instead of nothing. Install them dry.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
Use Felpro 1400 gaskets instead of nothing. Install them dry.
:club:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I had the machine shop resurface my header. It was warped pretty bad. I'll try dab of HT rtv and try w/o gasket. And let U all know how it works.

thanks!

Also I think the little donut flange on the bottom of the header might not be sealing as well as it should. It goes pretty far inside the crossover pipe.

Any tips on re flareing it a bit so it seats better?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
As long as the header connection isn't egg shaped you are probably fine. Then again aren't you using an aftermarket crossover? Maybe the end of the crossover is expanded too much.

If you don't want to worry about the headers leaking I would really suggest the 1400's. You could try hi temp rtv or another experiment but really why would you want to risk it for $20? The 1400's are reusable many times over and simply will not leak.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Orlando_87GN said:
As long as the header connection isn't egg shaped you are probably fine. Then again aren't you using an aftermarket crossover? Maybe the end of the crossover is expanded too much.

If you don't want to worry about the headers leaking I would really suggest the 1400's. You could try hi temp rtv or another experiment but really why would you want to risk it for $20? The 1400's are reusable many times over and simply will not leak.
I am useing the postons cross over. The factor piece sinks down quite a ways in it. I just wondered if it's reccomended to smear rtv on them to help seal or anything.

After calling all over town and getting rejected I just went to the local autozone and asked for the felpro catalog. Pointed to the 1400 gaskets and said order me these.

Should be in tommorow. Man are these people dense. I even told the guy on the phone the PN and he couldn't do it. Told me it was unavailable.... :rolleyes:

With the new decked surface and gaskets this thing should seal perfectly. We'll see.

thanks again all... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
strange how the factory had no problem without a gasket. Must not be magic, because I have never had a problem with a straight flange, either. :confused:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve Wood said:
strange how the factory had no problem without a gasket. Must not be magic, because I have never had a problem with a straight flange, either. :confused:
I think when they repaired mine it warped? I supose the head surface could be warped as well?

And I'm sure your right, but for $20 If there was some 100:1 chance it did leak I'd rather spend the $20 than have to pull it all off a third time. Although I am getting pretty good at it now!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
they will warp when repaired unless bolted firmly to a flat surface that cannot warp. Might be warped anyway after you unbolt it. :) Always best to check them and have resurfaced after repair if required.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
strange how the factory had no problem without a gasket.
When things are brand new, flat and have a nice machined finish they probably seal up great!

Fast forward 20 years now parts are warped, heat cycled 1000's of times and pitted.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
guess you missed the part where he had the machine shop resurface the header so it was flat?

Does not matter, he has gaskets on the way. :)

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I saw that but what about the head?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I guess it is possible...but, I bet it is not probable. I always double checked mine by shining a small mag lite under the flange to see if there was a misfit anywhere...so far, the few that I have done always show the header to be at fault. Even one that the machine shop had supposed milled...found out they used a belt sander.

Good machinist straight edge should make quick work of the matter

·
Registered
401 Posts
SCE 4472 copper header gaskets$ 29.95 pair

SUMMIT racing have the SCE copper header gaskets available, they provide a good seal on older uneven surfaces between the cylinder head and exhaust header.

I use them on all my turbo buicks now.

Regards . Blackhawk 38 Turbo E-body

1 - 18 of 18 Posts