Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
What is the ultimate goal for your car?

For low 11's high 10's I would go with Cometics, steel shims or stock GM (my last choice of the 3)

Fel pro 9441's are used on these cars often also, and are about the equivalent of the GM stocker.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Grannynational:
Fel-Pro #1000, 37.95 each at summit?

Are these what I want for my car?

Joe
I would stay away from the FPro 1000! Those things pop easy. The guy's I know that used them had to changem' in no time. I was talking to Conley about them and they said they wouldn't even sell anyone the 1000s. They said the stock GM ones are good for 550hp.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy who works at the buick dealer said GM gaskets are manufactured by fel-pro.

I'm looking for low 11's.

Joe

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Flip a coin. You won't notice a difference. I use Felpro 9441PT I Never had a problem That I didn't cause wink

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I bought my champion irons tom told me to run the stock gasket. Its up to you where you want to torque the heads bolts down to. There dosen't seem to be a consensus there. Anywhere between 70-90 ft-lbs.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a complete GM Head gasket set for my car, includeds everything.

Also I got had those vavle springs checked at 1.727 and they were 80#, The guy at the machine shop said they were comp cam springs... 979's?

Joe

·
We Have Lift-off
1,647 Posts
The GM's are good for 10's...I have gone mid 10's with the GM. And Victor makes them for GM. They have the same Logo at the corner of the Gasket. So if you want to pay less buy the Victor #3797 it's the GM Gasket.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I would stay away from the FPro 1000! Those things pop easy. The guy's I know that used them had to changem' in no time. I was talking to Conley about them and they said they wouldn't even sell anyone the 1000s. They said the stock GM ones are good for 550hp.
Maybe b/c the Felpro 1000 has a bore size of 4.020 and thats too big for the 3.8? They seem to work fine on the 4.1. Nice gasket. powersix

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
from what I've learned so far It comes down to the faster you wanna go the tighter ya torque the heads down.

I like the steel shims cause they give you a few times to opps and blow by them without blowing..If you lift the head with a graphite or paper gasket they will blow

·
Registered
47 Posts
Boosted Bob:
What is the ultimate goal for your car?

For low 11's high 10's I would go with Cometics, steel shims or stock GM (my last choice of the 3)

Fel pro 9441's are used on these cars often also, and are about the equivalent of the GM stocker.
I agree right now I am running 27psi with a TE45a using a set of Cometics there has been a few times I made mistakes and they are holding great!

<small>[ April 15, 2003, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Gnash86 ]</small>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts