Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here subscribe to the idea of changing your head gasket as routine maitenance, rather than wait for the big day to occur, and running the risk of serious damage to the motor...

I have heard two schools of thought on this and was wondering what the general opinion is out there.

Some believe it should be changed at 60k, especially if the car is seeing the track, others say leave well enough alone.

Follow up question - If I were to change them now, what brand / manufacturer do you recommend ?
Stat's - 1987 GN with 64k miles - running strong.
best time to date - 12.2 @ 112mph.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
DO NOT BREAK THE SEAL untill you have to. you'll never get that same seal again.
i've got 250,000 on my head gaskets and i'm willing to bet my cars seen as much detonation as a semitruck.

earl

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think I'll start changing ring & pinions every 70K miles too! <g> Blown head gaskets are driver error 99% of the time. Tuning and monitoring the motor will greatly reduce the likelihood of hurting something.

Like Earl said, leave the originals alone as long as possible. My Ltd has never been opened up and I intend to keep it that way!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyones feedback.

OK - The head gasket stays until the head gasket decides it's time to go. I will continue to run the car at optimum pleasure (very fast) and keep an eye on the healthy basics (scanmaster II stuff)...

Thanks for confirming what I already thought was bad advice.

·
Danster
238 Posts
Can someone explain why and what did the factory do to the head gaskets that others are unable to accomplish? I've heard many replies before regarding the sealing from the factory were the best.

Why!Why!Why! loser

Dannyo

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
clean engine, good gasket, proper torque on tty bolts. No magic, just consistency.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I worked for GM car assembly for 15 years. The plants had one more thing the average garage does not. Robots. Mechanical Robots and articulating arms can do repetitive work over
and over, almost flawlessly, when the material and other conditions are also correct. Torque monitoring within exact specifications was standard operating procedure.

Although I never worked in a power train plant, I toured several and they used robotics where possable as well. When these things worked, they worked well and were not subject to hangovers, arguments with the spouse, etc....

·
Registered
445 Posts
the key to a factory unopened motor is that all 8 head bolts were torqued at once. seen this being done about 12 yrs ago....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts