Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a small problem. When I try starting the car, it'll crank for 15 seconds or so, then it'll fire up. I've just changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter. It's basically a 105,000 stock car. Just recently bought it and am trying to learn more about these classics. Thanks for your help in advance... usa

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine does the same but only after it's warm. If the car sits overnight or for a few days, she fires right up.

Maybe we share the same problem since I have also changed plugs, wires, filters.

Dan

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Bad fuel pump relay? Probably cranks until the oil pressure switch sees 4# of pressure and then completes the back up circuit to the pump.

Do you hear the pump run for about two seconds when you turn the key to on?

<small>[ March 28, 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Steve Wood ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
then swap a fan relay with the pump relay and see if that cures the problem :)

pump relay is on passenger inner fender with dark green/white, pink/black, gray, and black/white wires on it.

<small>[ March 28, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Steve Wood ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
relays are electrical switches.

If you will look at the drivers inner fender you will see two black boxes about 1 x 1 x1" screwed to the inner fender plus one more that is a bit bigger. They have wiring harnesses plugged into the bottom of each one. These are the fan relays.

If you look at the passenger side, you should see two of them...of the 1x1x1 size....one is the fuel pump relay and the other is the ac relay.

Look for the one with the wire colors going into the bottom as I listed above. That should be the pump relay. rather than using a fan relay as I suggested, just unplug and switch the two relays on the passenger side.

If that is the problem, the fuel pump will run, the car will start quickly, but the ac won't come on...buy a new relay in that case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sir, pulled out the relay. One of them has a tiny amount of something on it. The other female connector was covered in it. Do I need new relays for both? Do I need to get new female connectores for both, and if so, where would I be able to get them at? Thanks alot gents... :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
geez, you can call me sir when I have grandkids.

I assume you are talking about the connectors? Normally they have a tar looking substance on them to protect the terminals from water.

Just switch the positions of the relays and replug them in.

then see if the car starts more promptly. Listen to see if the pump runs when the key is first switched.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Does the car still not start?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She cranks for 15 secs, fires up. No noise from the pump. And for some reason I can't switch the relays... dunno

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I am confused now...did you switch relays once, or never?

If the relays are different, try one of the fan relays on the other side.

If that does not work, I will tell you how to jump the connector temporarily to see if it is the relay.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yep, I thought about that last night. I would have thought the ac relay was the same, tho...maybe not.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Maybe your fuel pump is on it's way out. My 85 did the same thing, although if you let it sit for a while it would fire up. The fuel pump was on it's last leg and would heat up and draw too much current preventing the car from starting. The inside of the pump looked pretty burnt. Just a thought. powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Was there a similar relay situated next to the fuel pump relay? I am not familar with the hot air cars layout.

If not, take a short piece of wire or a heavy paper clip and connect the pink/black wire in the connector to the the gray wire in the connector..

(just pull the connector off the fp relay and insert the wire/clip into the slots that contain the pink/black and gray wires.....)

This makes a full time connection to the pump from the fuse block and the pump should run all the time when the key is on. If this allows the car to start quickly, then it would seem to prove the relay is bad. If not, there is some other problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts