Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. New to the forum but have been doing a lot of reading on here. Drove the gn home tonight after a meet and had the high beams on. Went to go turn them back to low beams and they wouldn't do it. I didn't hear any click in the lever either. Every time I went to pull it i back, the lever wouldn't click and the high beams would just stay on. Then about 1-2 minutes later, still driving, the headlights all together started to flicker on and off randomly, then i started to smell something burning electrically from around the steering column. I pulled over and turned the lights off and the smell went away. Tried driving it again and as soon as i got up to highway speeds the lights began to flicker again (all while still having the high beams stuck on). Had it towed home. Going to look at it in the morning. Guessing the relay or something else went bad. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
dimmer switch on column ,
remove the lower hush panel and on driveside look up its at the base above the brake switches , held on with small 5/16" bolt and a nut on a stud

the blinking is the overheating of the headlamp switch at left side of the dash (remove bezel and with a couple 9/32 screws it just pulls out)

when this happened to me with the highs on (running h4 lamps)
i only replaced the dimmer because it was burned up and took the load off the dimmer and the headlamp switch by hotwiring the headlamps
I grabbed the high beam headlamp feed wire in the harness by the horns ,
cut it ,
ran feed end (side toward rear) to relay coil (85)
relay coil ground (86) to fender ground screw
new power feed from alternator to relay load input (30)
relay load out (87) out to the headlamps

my lamps are superbright and no worries of overloading the headlamp switch or burning the contacts up on the dimmer switch
i used a junkyard 40A relay/connector and wiring cut out from a gm car fwd fan control , cut it with plenty of wire to reach the alternator

Google Image Result for http://www.teamrocs.com/images/technical/relay_diagram.gif

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul. Question, when you say remove the hush panel your talking about the panel piece held in by 2 screws directly underneath the steering column correct? Do I have to remove the metal plate with the 4 bolts on it as well to gain access? Not by my car at the moment but i did get a chance to take a glimpse at it this morning.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
the black plastic panel that is just past the edge of the dash goes from dash to the floor above the pedals
its held on with two screws at the front edge and a 10mm nut at the throttle pedal bracket stud

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks. I will take a look at it later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts