Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a couple of threads about grill springs, and after installing dual fans and a fm, I finally lost one. Anyway, I went to the hardware store and found some springs for $1.29. The first picture shows it in comparison to the oem and the second shows it with the ends slightly bent out to hook onto the grill and bumper. It bends easily with a pliers and you can put a hook in it so it will not fall off. It's just slightly tighter than the oem. Just an idea. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
and tie a safety wire on it so if it jumps off, it will be hanging there waiting for you to reinstall it. :)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve Wood said:
and tie a safety wire on it so if it jumps off, it will be hanging there waiting for you to reinstall it. :)
Steve, it's really hooked in there much better than the oem. Besides, they cost $1.29. Okay, okay, I'll put a wire on it. :D

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
Gnx6 said:
That sure beats the 35 bucks for the stockers!

That's something I never understood considering the fact you can buy about any kind of spring a the store. :dunno:

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
I've read a couple of threads about grill springs, and after installing dual fans and a fm, I finally lost one. Anyway, I went to the hardware store and found some springs for $1.29. The first picture shows it in comparison to the oem and the second shows it with the ends slightly bent out to hook onto the grill and bumper. It bends easily with a pliers and you can put a hook in it so it will not fall off. It's just slightly tighter than the oem. Just an idea. :)
FYI,They are much easier to install if you pull the engine first. :rolleyes: :crazy:

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
Gnx6 said:
That sure beats the 35 bucks for the stockers!
Kirban is gonna start selling repros.I'm not sure how much$$ he's gonna charge. :dunno: Probably less than $35 ,but still too much.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MR Buick said:
FYI,They are much easier to install if you pull the engine first. :rolleyes: :crazy:
I considered pulling the engine. Instead of lying on my back fumbling with the damn things, I could just sit comfortably in the engine compartment on the cross member.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
you can also keep them in place with U shaped door edge guard over the spring and the lip...if you happen to have any laying around

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
seems like I recall that the bumper has to be positioned correctly or there will not be enuf tension on the springs...or, this could simply be a '60s flashback? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve Wood said:
seems like I recall that the bumper has to be positioned correctly or there will not be enuf tension on the springs...or, this could simply be a '60s flashback? :dunno:
I have a bumper off of a '61 Corvair Monza, and they fit fine. :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, the rear bump off a corvair Monza is a very useful object. Particularly the early models before they went from swing axles to irs. :cheers:

·
Registered
97 Posts
what are those springs for? The grill on my car is on solid, but I dont see any springs? I ask only becuase I have no experiance with grill springs, and these are the first I heard of it?

·
dismember
293 Posts
Geesh,

All this talk of springs and no mention of exactly what to look for at Lowe's? Gotta part # or at least a brand name to head me in the right direction? I think when one of the helpful associates asks me if I need any help, I'm going to look at him point blank and ask, "Actually, I was wondering if you carry drop in replacement grill springs for a 1987 Buick Grand National. Oh, and anything that you have under $35 would be super." :ugh:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
87geeinn said:
Geesh,

All this talk of springs and no mention of exactly what to look for at Lowe's? Gotta part # or at least a brand name to head me in the right direction? I think when one of the helpful associates asks me if I need any help, I'm going to look at him point blank and ask, "Actually, I was wondering if you carry drop in replacement grill springs for a 1987 Buick Grand National. Oh, and anything that you have under $35 would be super." :ugh:
I don't have a part number and I sure don't remember the brand name. Most hardware stores have a spring display board. That's why I posted the picture. For what springs cost, take a chance. :)

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
11secondgs said:
what are those springs for? The grill on my car is on solid, but I dont see any springs? I ask only becuase I have no experiance with grill springs, and these are the first I heard of it?
so if you bump something with the grille it with give a little instead of breaking into a 1000 parts...also heard somewhere that at speed it pushes back for better air flow..or something like that

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Someone told me it's for when someone leans into the engine area the grill gives a little. :dunno:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
11secondgs said:
It shouldnt be on solid! It should go back if you push on it. The springs keep it held forward.

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
MR Buick said:
Kirban is gonna start selling repros.I'm not sure how much$$ he's gonna charge. :dunno: Probably less than $35 ,but still too much.
I just looked on Kirbans website,he sells the repro grill springs for $18.95

1 - 20 of 21 Posts