Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Unrecognized Genius
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's a long story, but here goes. About a year and a half ago I was unfortunate enough to suffer from an attack of Vertigo. For those that have never experienced this thrill ride, just imagine losing all sense of balance. The side effects can last for weeks or years, depending on the individual. Anyway, before this happened to me I was amassing all the mods that I could afford. Unfortunately after the incident they just sat around gathering dust, as if in limbo.. Check out my VB garage and you will get the picture. Some of those mods are obsolete or unavailable now. Even after a year or so, I was just too dizzy or foggy to do anything myself. I was lucky enough to run into a fellow racer that had pitted beside me in 1990. At that time he solidly kicked my ass with his bumble bee sounding GN ( still owns it), and I was always fond of them since. He knew I had an 87Type T and enquired what was done to it. Of course I told him I had all these parts, but lacked the stamina to complete the project. I asked him if he could do some work for me over the winter and he agreed to it. For those that are local, his name is Troy G, and is considered by most that know him to be one of the most knowledgable in this area. He did what he could for me in between his shift work and family. There is the new GT67, Razor's Alky kit, Bilstiens, complete HnR rear etc. I still have to get my trans and the billet 911 3600 stall converter and the SS 3" crossflow exhaust installed, but that will happen soon. Although without the converter installed it's more than a little sluggish off the line, it certainly is a freeway screamer at 23 lbs. Anyway, at least things are progressing. I just wanted to give recognition to a stand up guy that helped a fellow Turbo Buick enthusiast out.Thanks for listening. . :6:

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
cheers to troy G :cheers: not many nice guys left!! hope your vertigo gets better thats a very nice car!! i had a white 87 t about 12 years ago! :headbang:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Great to hear of a fellow TR guy helping out :cheers: I have 2 White T's now..Guess I like White T's :yup:
Hope hope you are feeling better and enjoy the car

·
Keep the Rubber Side Down
1,161 Posts
Inspiring story and nice car... :cheers:

Man that stinks, didn't know vertigo could have such lasting effects (or much about it at all , for that matter). Are there any specific causes? - genetic or otherwise?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nice to find a good guy these days.

Hope you get over the episode and get back to normal soon! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That's awesome Bob! It's great to have people around that care. Keep us posted on what it runs. Is that the factory original wires on there?

·
Unrecognized Genius
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off let me say thanks to you guys for the nice words. I am grateful to say that I have recovered sufficiently to function at about 95%. It still leaves you with slight nausea, even after months. It makes it hard to be under a car or lean over a fender for more than a few minutes. There are thousands of people every year that are affected with this, and it usually has no pre warning symptoms. If you ask around you probably know someone who has had it. Some people have a one time incident (at any age) and others are plagued for years. There are those that believe it is a virus or a microscopic piece of calcium that gets lodged in the middle ear. I am relatively symptom free now, but driving or going in an elevator was hell for about 4 months.

It was hard to walk past all those parts and my car for those months. It looks and drives awesome thanks to Troy. It sure feels great to get back into a real car. And yes I did get dizzy when I drove the Buick home from Troy's, but it was only because it was so damn fast. I think I scared the crap out of a guy in a WRX. lol

P.S. Those wires are a set from Kirban's. I think they looked better than the ugly yellow ones that were on the car when I brought her home. Probably will go with better ones soon.

·
RIP Nick Picozzi
2,311 Posts
WLDWST said:
First off let me say thanks to you guys for the nice words. I am grateful to say that I have recovered sufficiently to function at about 95%. It still leaves you with slight nausea, even after months. It makes it hard to be under a car or lean over a fender for more than a few minutes. There are thousands of people every year that are affected with this, and it usually has no pre warning symptoms. If you ask around you probably know someone who has had it. Some people have a one time incident (at any age) and others are plagued for years. There are those that believe it is a virus or a microscopic piece of calcium that gets lodged in the middle ear. I am relatively symptom free now, but driving or going in an elevator was hell for about 4 months.

It was hard to walk past all those parts and my car for those months. It looks and drives awesome thanks to Troy. It sure feels great to get back into a real car. And yes I did get dizzy when I drove the Buick home from Troy's, but it was only because it was so damn fast. I think I scared the crap out of a guy in a WRX. lol

P.S. Those wires are a set from Kirban's. I think they looked better than the ugly yellow ones that were on the car when I brought her home. Probably will go with better ones soon.
My dad has it pretty bad also (he is out on long term disability for that and other reasons) he can litterly only be under the car for like 5 mins then its like your drunk ( I have it mildly) Glad to here you got the car runing again and are able to drive it :6 Let me know if you need anything :cheers:

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
The car looks great and I am glad to hear that you are getting better!!! :cheers:

·
Owner-TR Custom Parts
1,059 Posts
Nice car, been there done that with the Vertigo. If you ever got the bedspins after a night of heavy drinking that is what it is like. I woke up with it one night and just about passed out when I tried to get out of bed. Lasted about a week with me and nothing since, knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A beautiful car and great news on your steady recovery!

I once gave a panhandler some money in a McDonald's near the ferry terminal in Seattle and the guy thanked me and added, "Hang in there.....even if only to p!ss 'em off!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts