Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Grandpa car my ass!!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to the Grand National scene. I just bought a 1987 GN. I would say overall condition 9 out of 10. Anyways, the engine has just been rebuilt to stock specs. Everything internal is new and seems to be running well. I would like to make a 12 second car that will run on pump gas and be somewhat reliable. I know this can be done easily. The car is bone stock except for a dual exhaust setup with turbo mufflers. My question is this: What mods should I do to accomplish this? I don't have enough to do it all now and would like to do it progressively. I have $500 to spend right now. What would be the best things to buy first? Cold air intake? Scan Master? I have read a lot and I know I have a lot to learn but I am 39 years old and do have experience with cars just not Turbo Buick's. If someone can give me an outline or ideas of what I might want to do to accomplish what I want, I can make decisions from there.

Thank you in advance. This is a great site by the way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do a search on spring cleaning, or start reading at gnttype.org. Basics first before you get the itch to crank it up. Hotwired new fuel pump (Walbro 340 or similar). Scanmaster or Powerlogger at the minimum, knock is not your friend....

·
T-Type guy
121 Posts
You bought a very special car and picked a great site to join...and you will learn a lot here like I have been doing!

:cheers: steve

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
first off welcome. do not even think about mods untill the car is running 100% you might think it is.. chances are it isnt. look on steve wood's site and Turbo Regal Web Site. read.. read.. read.. read. take the $500 put it in to the spring cleaning then worry about the mods.

·
Turbo Buick Noob...
61 Posts
Save another $500.
My god, isn't that the truth...

Welcome aboard, as you can see I'm new here myself and am looking to make some upgrades as well, saving some $$ over the winter. Unlike you I have ZERO experience on cars but because of the wealth of knowledge here I'm actually starting to figure a few things out. My wish list for the winter is as follows:

Scanmaster, Razors Alky, Turbo Tweak 91/Alky chip, 60lb injectors, boost valve, fuel pressure gauge. This will bring me to about $1300-$1500 :eek!:

My car runs great on an old Red Armstrong 94 octane chip but from everything I've read and seen the TT chips are in a league of their own. I don't post too often because I have little to contribute but I think it's fair to say $500 will be a basic start.

Have fun, life as you know it has just changed!! :D

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts

·
Registered Redleg
44 Posts
Find a mechanic that specializes in your car. Spring Clean. Then, Scanmaster, Alky, TTchip, 60lb injectors, adjustable FPR, stretched ic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts