Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone who has one in their car please list a picture of where and how you installed it, as i bought one installed it correctly i think but no improvements.

thx Bob

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
In the line that goes to the wastegate actuator port.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Steve but you wouldn't happen to have a visual of it, did you tie it down to anything did you unplug the wg solenoid, I have a stock turbo, stock inj. stock IC, this thing should spool up fast and hard right , and i should set the actuator at 14 or 15 correct then adjust the valve to where i want it right.

thx again

Bob

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I built my own "McMaster-Carr" :D valve. I was running so called tuner style with the hose going straight from the compressor housing to the actuator and using the rod for adjustment.

When I installed the valve, I simply cut the hose and put the valve in the middle.

I set the rod to provide about 1/10-1/8" tension on the wastegate arm and used the valve to set the total boost.

I took mine off recently as I was getting too much boost too fast on 93 and alky and could not keep the Nittos hooked. Otherwise, I would give you a picture. I simply ran the hose over the top of the compressor housing and had the valve on top.

If one wants more boost than the valve adjustment will allow, one can retain the factory Y and put a bleeder in the line that went to the wastegate solenoid. Valve would go in the leg from the Y to the actuator.
:)

Here is a link to the original design.

http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mike.html

One can also use a Norgren relief valve that looks like an aircompressor regulator so that the hose does not have to be pulled off for an adjustment of boost level.

Here is a link to that one

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0670

·
Registered
633 Posts
I highly recommend the 2nd one that Steve talks of - the pressure regulator type as it's cheap, easy AND I can adjust it form within my car...yep, inside the car. I think Mr. Jack Cotton sells these and again...they are fairly inexpensive.

One might like adjusting boost from one's seat. heh heh wink headbang

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm curious as to how the "regulator" set up actually works. On a Buick, if it were in line with the wastegate, it wouldn't do much. Let's say it's trying to hold 15 lbs, and the wastegate is set at 12. No boost, the regulator will be wide open, trying to get 15 lbs to the wastegate. Boost builds, gets to 5,or 6, wastegate starts to open. Then wastegate "controls" boost never gets past 12, so regulator just stays wide open. OR.. say it's trying to hold 12, and wastegate is set at 15. No boost, regulator is wide open. Boost builds to 12, regulator closes down, trying to "hold" the 12. But wastegate won't open fully, so boost continues to build. I can't see how the regulator does anything in this particular set-up. Maybe if it is inside the car, and is used like the "bleed" valves. Somebody please explain...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ormand -
i can see where you're confused. perhaps someone else can explain it better than I...BUT i forgot to mention that I have an external w/g - DeltaGate. that link that Steve provided gives a pretty decent explanation but it's still a little confusing to read.

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Steve Wood:
One can also use a Norgren relief valve that looks like an aircompressor regulator so that the hose does not have to be pulled off for an adjustment of boost level.
I didn't check the link out yet, but I think the keys words are "relief" valve and "looks like" a regulator. In other words, it's not really a regulator, it just looks like one (but operates as a relief valve).

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
I might as well post something useful today. :rolleyes:

This is my underhood and my GV hook up. You can also see my Pro-Pain inlet and other caRp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts