Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to QQ plates when I registered the T last year. Never scraped off the inspection sticker which expired last year and got pulled over today by Colts Neck police. He pulled me over cuz of the sticker and I explained the deal with the QQs being exempt from inspection and he was good about it. Said he wasn't sure. Ran my stuff and I was on my way.

So just a heads up. Time to remove the sticker.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I hear that. Got pulled over in Long Branch a couple of years ago with the triangle collectors sticker. The cop never saw it before and questioned it. QQ's have been around forever, they should know about them.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
...got pulled over today by Colts Neck police.
How fast were you going & how much noise were you making :6::dunno:
Is that car stock appearing?
Was the trip to a "show" or for "educational purposes"? :D

I just keep hoping that no-one (Police) ever wants to get too "technical" about the QQ tags :usa:

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
When I get my QQ tags in April, I'm going to drive my car when/where I want. F' the QQ stipulations- NJ DMV can kiss my ass for making me repay the fee I already paid once to get my personalized plates. Why not allow me to transfer it to a QQ for free? Nope that would be too easy. I'd also put my money on the fact that 90% (give or take) of NJ police officers don't know the collector/QQ registration rules or regulations, as pointed out above by Dan and Glenn.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How fast were you going & how much noise were you making :6::dunno:
Is that car stock appearing?
Was the trip to a "show" or for "educational purposes"? :D

I just keep hoping that no-one (Police) ever wants to get too "technical" about the QQ tags :usa:
If he had seen me take off at the previous green light it may have been a different story. I never went above the speed limit but I got there kinda quick. Not sure I could have explained that as a show for anyone other than meself..and doubt I could have chalked it off as an experiment in the theory of relative motion. :wink:

He did ask me when the last time was I drove the car. I said January and he said, ok so this isn't used for daily use? Nope. He said ok, gave me my license and said have a good one.

Jay...I don't disagree and thankfully this is the first time I've had any issues. Actually the first time I've been pulled over since I can't remember when.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
My car is currently registered as NJ Collector registration with my current vanity plate, which requires no emission inspections, just a inspection of a working odometer (b/c you are only allowed 6k miles every 2 year as Collector registration) Once the car turns 25 years old, collector registration is no longer an option. You either have to a) go back to regular registration requiring emission testing every 2 years (and I could keep my vanity plate as is), or b) QQ registration (which you are issued the special QQ plates and can apply for a vanity QQ plate- if it's available). QQ ha no inspection or odometer verification. So considering the emissions issues I would have if going back to regular registration, my car must be tagged as a QQ.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car is currently registered as NJ Collector registration with my current vanity plate, which requires no emission inspections, just a inspection of a working odometer (b/c you are only allowed 6k miles every 2 year as Collector registration) Once the car turns 25 years old, collector registration is no longer an option. You either have to a) go back to regular registration requiring emission testing every 2 years (and I could keep my vanity plate as is), or b) QQ registration (which you are issued the special QQ plates and can apply for a vanity QQ plate- if it's available). QQ ha no inspection or odometer verification. So considering the emissions issues I would have if going back to regular registration, my car must be tagged as a QQ.
Yep. They'd laugh me out of the inspection line. Plus with QQs, registration is good for 3yrs @ 44.00 bucks a pop.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Actually the renewal for the QQ tags (every 3 years) is a $n/c

I keep saying... "it is one of only 2 good deals in the whole state" :D

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I would agree that most cops aren't 100% familiar with collector car and historic registrations. The guys in my place have been educated so as not to inconvenience anyone unnecessarily like Dan was. They have also been conditioned to advise me anytime they see something cool and/or stop it. I've been to a couple impromptu roadside car shows. :D

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
I would agree that most cops aren't 100% familiar with collector car and historic registrations. The guys in my place have been educated so as not to inconvenience anyone unnecessarily like Dan was. They have also been conditioned to advise me anytime they see something cool and/or stop it. I've been to a couple impromptu roadside car shows. :D
I wuz hopin' you would chime in...
One can only hope that there is a "car guy Sarge" in every township :usa:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.